Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Go Kings


Thanks to my dad, I got the chance to go to what might have been the last Sacramento Kings game ever. The team might be relocating to Anaheim next year--it's still up in the air. Plus it was Kings vs. Lakers! If you are a die-hard Kings fan, you must hate the Lakers.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to take my nieces, Emily & Abby, and Elizabeth.
We had so much fun! For one thing, because of the significance of this game, the arena was packed and we were cheering so loud for our Kings. It felt like the playoff games of old when the Kings were good.

(Here is a picture from that era, taken in the summer of '03. It's me with Mike Bibby. I am also very sunburned. OK, not all of the redness of face could be called a sunburn. :)
Funny sidenote: This was taken between Joe and I's first and second dates. That is terrible grammar, isn't it? I can't think of a better way to say that...)

OK, back to the game... after being down by 20 late in the game, the Kings stormed back to take the lead at the very end. The crowd was going crazy:

It looked like the Kings would win! Unfortunately, Kobe Bryant hit a 3 with seconds left to send it into overtime. Darn that Kobe. The Kings couldn't hold it together in OT and lost.

The biggest reason it was so much fun was the company. These girls are awesome. My girls have some amazing older girl cousins (and boys too, but all the oldest cousins are girls on both sides) who are all excellent examples. I hope my girls turn out like them.

(How did they all get so big anyway? Here are my oldest three Allen nieces, Emily, Abby and Hannah, with me and my mom in the summer of '02:

It's also funny that I'm wearing the same gray Kings shirt in both pictures.)

Wow, I'm going a little crazy with the parenthetical tangents. Sorry. I must be feeling nostalgic. :)

Again, back to the game...We had fun eating snacks and cheering on our Kings. Elizabeth was an excellent fan at her first-ever game. Emily even caught a t-shirt, despite a 50 year-old woman diving to the ground in front of her in an attempt to snatch it. :) (What is it with people going crazy over free t-shirts anyway?)

What a fun night. And here's hoping the Sacramento Kings stick around!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Fun post, I love the flashback pics! Thanks for taking the girls to the game, they had so much fun. Em tells everyone about catching the shirt and the lady laying at her feet! too funny!

Dione said...

For some reason I never saw this post, but came too your blog to find a good song to download, you have the best music taste of anyone I know. Also, I LOVED the couple of Kings games that I got to go too with you, remember when we were on tv dancing...that next day at school was a little embarrassing! haha.