Wednesday, October 24, 2012

1st Grade

A couple of weeks ago, Natalie's kindergarten teacher e-mailed me saying that she had done an end-of-year assessment on Natalie and she had done really well.  She asked what we thought about moving her up to first grade.  I was not prepared for that.  Maybe I should have been.

We met with her teacher.  She told us about getting Natalie set up on the computer to take tests for the accelerated reader program (you read books and get points for it if you can pass quizzes on them).  She and the computer teacher were blown away when she just sat down and started passing tests on the Little House on the Prairie books she had read.  OK--so we knew she was at a high reading level.  Still, I thought her writing needed a bit of work.  But, she also showed us some first grade level writing assignments she'd had her do and they were great.  She tends to reverse some of her numbers but that was really the only issue.  We decided that it really would be best for Natalie to be in first grade.

A week and a half ago, Natalie started school full time in her new class.  We were all nervous, and I was quite honestly a wreck.  Nate and I still needed her at home for those few hours in the morning!  This wasn't fair.  Nate handled it fine the first day and excitedly waved her off.  He and I kept pretty busy during the day.

Natalie had a great first day.  I guess there were a mob of girls around her from her new class, eager to show her around and play with her at recess, so much so that Elizabeth couldn't really play with her at the morning recess they have together.  At lunch she sat by a boy that is in her class that she knows from church.  She was happy and excited about being a first grader.

The rest of last week didn't go quite as smoothly.  The work she is doing is quite a bit harder.  It's a big change to go from counting things up to five to subtraction problems like 11-7.  She came home one day with a math worksheet on which she had missed over half of the problems.  Her homework takes her a lot longer now and we had some meltdowns.  I'm sure a lot of it was just tiredness from now being at school all day.  Plus, she tells me about passing her old class and how everyone yells her name and waves to her.  She says that is her favorite part of the day.  Luckily she is handling everything remarkably well.  She's made some friends in her new class.  She is quickly getting the hang of how things work and is doing much better.  She really does belong in first grade.  It's good for her to be challenged and not have everything come so easily.

Nate and I have had a hard time adjusting.  Although it does make my day a lot easier not having to go back and forth to the school, it seems so quiet in the morning with just the two of us.  Still, I'm trying to enjoy this time we have together before the baby comes and it won't be nearly so quiet anymore.  I still worry about sibling rivalry with Elizabeth and Natalie being only a grade apart and it makes me sad that she and Nate will be 4 grades apart.  But, we just couldn't force that girl back.  She has been trying to catch up with Elizabeth since she was born. That drive will serve her well, I think, and I don't want to stifle it.

We love our brand new little first-grader!

4 comments:

A Roper said...

What a smartie! :) Liberty and Audrey are only a year apart in school and in the past it has been tough with the competition aspect. But this year they have both seemed to find their own niche and I think in the end, it all works out. Audrey is the youngest in her class and has to work harder to be at the top (which she insists on) and that has led to many meltdowns, so I feel your pain. And yet she has such a huge confidence boost when she does well because she has had to work so hard---good lessons to learn!!!
I'm so happy for Natalie!

Jordan and Luci said...

Holy, that is awesome! Teach me how to make smart kids...if you have to be smart first, I'm afraid there's no chance! I love to read your updates. Does your boy have a name?

Jackie said...

Funny that I read this today. Mia is begging to skip to second grade. We are trying to work it out with teachers and administration. Her teacher isn't quite as supportive simply because "she doesn't want to lose Mia from class." The teacher is part of the problem; she lacks classroom management so can't even try to help challenge the brighter students. I get the challenge as a teacher, but I can't keep my kid back because of it. Mia and Dallin were only supposed to be 2 grades apart, but when he skipped two, that made a big difference. She's trying to catch up to him, too. Sibling competition can be healthy. :) Mia was also in 2 years of preschool and full day Kindergarten, so moving to Utah where Kindergarten is all half-day shows when it comes to first graders.

Good luck to you and Natalie! I know how hard it feels sometimes!

Janelle said...

First grade is where she belongs. Especially since Kinder was only half day! It will be rough, but will even out when she gets the hang of it and she's smart enough to start figuring out the math. Go Natalie!!