Thursday, February 4, 2016

Culture Night: Indonesia

Nate had been waiting a long time for his turn to pick the country.  He really wanted to pick Indonesia so he could talk about Draco lizards.  He learned about them on Wild Kratts and loves them.  I thought it was pretty cute.  So, Indonesia it was!

For dinner, I made these recipes. It could have been better than it was except that I overcooked the beef a bit (had to cook them inside) and I also should have taken them off the rack and covered them immediately because they got cold fast.  The fried rice with eggs were good.  We were all nervous about the jackfruit when I learned that jackfruit = durian.  Joe had tried durian at his old firm when someone brought it in once and it almost made him sick it was so strong/terrible.  Apparently, jackfruit is pretty mild, though, and didn't really have much flavor.

So, here was the spread:

After dinner, Nate talked about animals, Elizabeth talked about geography, Natalie talked about food, I talked about languages, and Joe talked about the tsunami.  That was sobering to teach our kids about.  I still remember watching the news when it happened--we were in CA right for Christmas and I was pregnant with Elizabeth.
It was another successful culture night!

No comments: