Wednesday, July 20, 2016

School Year Wrap-up

School started winding down in May and the kids got out on the 26th.  Of course that meant that school was winding for Joe and I, too, so it was a pretty crazy time.  Joe and I were both out of days off, too.  I was really glad that I was only working part-time because I was able to still make it to some school events that were in the morning.  The first was Elizabeth's guitar concert.
I thought it was pretty cool that the 5th graders at their school got to learn a few chords on the guitar:
I was really impressed with how they sounded.  Some of the songs were really beautiful.
A fun one they did was "Yellow Submarine"--complete with cardboard submarine in the background.   It was a fun assembly. 
The 5th grade also put on a play about the Revolutionary War.  Each class had a section.  She got title role of her section (a spirited young girl named Sophie).  She worked hard learning all her lines.  She was very nervous but for no reason because she did fantastic.  Her class seemed to know their lines the best and all did great.
Here's the only picture I have:

Then came Nate's kindergarten graduation.  This was our first one.  I don't remember any kind of graduation when Elizabeth finished kindergarten, and Natalie skipped it part-way through the year.  I was kind of skeptical at first, not really sure what the point of it was, but I have to admit that I LOVED it.  It was so adorable and fun.  Especially the way they did it, full of cute songs.  
Here was our little graduate:
He was really funny to watch.  He was really good about singing the songs, even though he didn't want to, until it came to the one he was dreading, "Tooty Ta."  
He barely did it and made this face the whole time:
He cracks me up.
Here he is singing some other songs.  I especially loved "You Are My Sunshine" in sign language.
I teared up a little bit.  Nothing new there, I guess. :)
They had a really cute part where they all said what they wanted to be when they grew up.  Nate said he wanted to be an artist.  I had no idea! 
My boys:
Next year, it's on to first grade!

Natalie had a great 4th grade year.  She was in gifted and talented this year and absolutely loved it.  She had different teachers for both halves of the year but seemed to like them both, especially the second half teacher, Mrs. Jones.  She loved the freedom of that class and really seemed to thrive there.  Her teacher told us that Natalie was a leader in the class.  We were proud of how she worked hard to improve her math grade, too.  
The only picture I have of Natalie is from the end-of-year school carnival.
She and her best friend, Hailey:
It was another great year!

No comments: