Friday, October 28, 2011

September/October

Why I am so bad at blogging lately? I'm not sure. I hope to be better. It has been kind of a crazy stretch for us lately, but really--when is it ever not crazy?

Here's a bunch of recent happenings in the lives of the Atkin family...

I signed the two little 'uns up for a community art class. They loved it and it was fun to watch them. It was even worth all the glitter covering my house for a few weeks there. They just had different tables set up and the kids could do whatever they wanted.

Some of their creations:


Nate especially loved the play dough station that was up every week:

We met at my parents' house again on Conference Sunday. The day wouldn't be complete without some Grandpa-wrestling time:
My mom and dad both just turned 60!
We made them some books with 60 memories from their children and grandchildren.
They were a hit!

An afternoon at the local spray-ground:

We're definitely loving the weather here!

Two weekends ago we had a beach trip. We opted for a colder one this time that supposedly had good tide pools. They didn't disappoint! Unfortunately I forgot to bring sweaters for everyone. It was pretty cold. This is a picture I took as I shivered under a beach towel:
The cold didn't stop those four from exploring.

Some the critters:
This one loves to dig:

Secret reading hiding place:
Fun at the park
(I'm looking through these pictures and realizing that my kids basically wear the same clothes over and over. I just need to get rid of the rest of their clothes, I guess. Sheesh.)

I got to go on Natalie's preschool field trip to a local farm.
She fed some chickens, ate fresh tomatoes, and picked out a pumpkin.
I can't believe that it's almost Halloween. The rest of the year is going to fly by. We are starting to settle in more here. Eventually I'll get the pictures up on the wall. Question: How is it that a person can just hang things up in haphazard ways, or arrange random items on a shelf and make it look really beautiful? This is a skill I do NOT possess, and it's frustrating to me. So, I just leave things in a box in our front room. Joe really loves this habit of mine. :)

I am having exercise troubles lately: namely, I am not exercising at all. We had a scary incident lately, that I don't want to go into on here, that made me realize that I probably shouldn't be running in the dark in the mornings by myself. This makes me sad because I really love to run early in the mornings. I don't love getting up, but I love how it makes me feel. Now I don't know what to do so I am doing nothing. This has negatively affected many aspects of my life (it's amazing how crucial exercise is to my well-being). So--what does a girl do who doesn't like running on treadmills, doesn't really enjoy running with other people (I do like it every once in awhile, but I mostly like to be alone with my music/conference talks in the morning--I'm a loner I guess) yet who needs exercise to function? Run with the kids in the stroller? That is so hard these days (they are heavy!) and I've gotten lazy after getting used to running by myself. Videos? Joe and I have thrown around the idea of P90x. Should we do it? I would love any ideas/recommendations. I know what you're thinking---just suck it up and do something, Ashley! And you would be right.

Thanks for listening, blog.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I never ran alone outside either. It really is dangerous, no matter where you are in my opinion. How about a high school track during school hours and let Nate play with something on the grass? It's hard.

Don't feel bad- I don't my pictures up either.

A Roper said...

I love Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred video. It's only 25 minutes but it is INTENSE!

I'm glad to see you blogging again! We miss you guys!

Whit K said...

Yay I missed you guys! I can't believe how old your kids are, it's crazy. You know we love P90X. I've been doing that in the mornings while Oakley's taking a nap and for the most part it fills the void of going to the gym or going outside to exercise. We found ours on ebay for a reasonable price. There's no running though (which is why I love it so much) so that might be something to consider because I know you're a runner.

Jordan and Luci said...

I love 30 day shred too. There's three different workouts on it and it's 10 bucks at wal-mart and is killer...at least for me and I am out of shape, so yeah. Try it and let me know!

Marin said...

Okay I can understand completely how you feel. The last year in law school after the twins were born I didn't exercise at all and it really made me go crazy/depressed. Now I am exercising everyday and I love it. But yeah that is hard when you can't get up and do it on your own. I am all about exercising by myself. I too am a LONER! I hope you can figure something out. A girl in our stake started holding ZUMBA classes in the cultural hall. Maybe you can find someone to start that up! Then it would be safe and you can throw all the kids in the nursery! I think the R.S. should have this as a CRITICAL part of helping Sisters stay in shape and feel good!!! But anyways your kids are SOOO CUTE! We miss you guys! Hope you are enjoying the bay area. We miss Sacramento and who knows where we will end up!!! :) Keep us posted if you hear of anyone HIRING!!! hee hee!!!

Regina said...

Ashley

I hated hated running on a treadmill at first, but you actually can get used to it. I cannot run in the cold, and so it is crucial for me to do the treadmill. I enjoy the gym at five in the morning with my headphones on and just running on the treadmill. I think it is like everything else you just have to get used to it.

We love and miss you, thanks for James B-Day he loved it. We had a pet spider and Sam named it Natalie, it was cute.