Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Big Giant Blog Catch-Up: Culture Nights

So, after my grand plans back in this post, our Atkin Family Culture Nights haven't been quite as consistent or grandiose as I had hoped.  Still, I'm holding on tight to this tradition so it doesn't fade into oblivion.  Back in August we had our Greenland night.  

Here was the spread:
 Magnificent, right?  
I'm not entirely to blame for the lack of authenticity.  It is hard to come by caribou and things like that around here.  So, we had salmon and cheated by having two green foods--broccoli and mashed potatoes dyed green.  We did have Kalaallit Kaagiat (Greenlandic cake--recipe found here) for dessert.

But, it was these duct tape viking hats that were the saving grace of the night:

Here they are making their best scary viking faces:


I think Natalie also dressed as a whale and Elizabeth as a polar bear.  Not sure why Natalie's pants are on backwards though. :) 

Nate chose China for our next one and we lucked out when we moved into our new ward and found out they were hosting a Moon Festival.  It was a lot of fun.  Great food and some fun games.  Sadly, I only have one picture from the night.  

Here are the girls watching the fear factor-like food challenge.  
They had these gray duck eggs, pigs' feet and something else I can't remember.  It was intense.  
If I hadn't been pregnant I would have been in on that. 
Maybe. :)

No comments: