Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Culture Nights: India & Russia

We've had a couple more culture nights around here.  It's been fun having Grandma Marsha here to join in.  We did India a few months back and I didn't get a single picture.  We went out to Joe's favorite Indian restaurant right by his work.  It's mostly a lunch buffet place and we were the only ones there for dinner but they treated us great, even when our kids spilled their drinks over and over again.  Unfortunately, we found out while we were there that they were moving to a new location.  Now we need to track them down.  The food was fantastic and not too expensive.  After dinner we did our parts and learned a lot.  I can't even remember who did what but it was a fun night!

A couple of weeks ago we did Russia.  This time we stayed close to home and I tried my hand at making some borscht.  It was fun!  I got to buy beets for the first time in my life.  The only picture I managed to get was a quick one as we were getting ready to eat:
Doesn't Elizabeth look thrilled?

No one really loved the borscht but the kids did eat it.  They're pretty good about soups.  Elijah actually really loved the beets and ate those like candy.  I probably liked it the best but I made way too much.  After eating borscht leftovers for days, I was ready to be done with it myself. :)

We learned a lot.  Natalie taught us about Russian clothing, Joe and Nate covered history, Marsha talked about the czars, Elizabeth talked about animals, and I taught a little bit of Russian.  It was fun to learn about the Russian alphabet.  We finished the night off with Anastasia--in all of it's historically-inaccurate-glory.  

Marsha chooses next!

No comments: