Thursday, May 22, 2014

17 Months

I feel like Elijah hasn't gotten the blog attention that some of the other kids did when they were little. So, here's an update on my baby boy.

He just turned 17 months.  I can't believe he will be going to nursery in a month!  It's just crazy.  I haven't been as eager about it this time.  I think it's because he's my baby and also because Joe has been taking care of him at church most Sundays.  

It's also weird to think about sending him since he is still isn't talking.  It's kind of funny to watch him--he communicates so well but just not with words.  He uses his sign for more, shakes his head for no, and various grunts, clicks, and "uh"'s to get across what he wants.  He has started to say "Mama" sometimes and we think he has said "up". He definitely understands everything, though.  He listens when I explain things to him.  He knows when he's being naughty, for sure.  It's pretty adorable and hard to be mad.  I have been strict about teaching him not to throw things into the pool when we're outside (otherwise there would constantly be rocks and things at the bottom of the pool).  I usually either hold him on my lap with his arms folded or make him sit inside on the other side of the sliding glass door when he does this.  One time he threw a stick or something in and immediately folded his arms by himself.  :)
I can't enough of those feet.

He loves to be outside.  He can wander around happily for hours when we go to the park.  It makes it hard at home, though, since I have to wander around with him because of the pool.  

He still loves his yogurt!  He insists on feeding himself, though.  I actually got these awesome video clips of some extended tantrums he threw over that issue.  I wanted to hurry and feed him before school pick-up and wouldn't let him have the spoon and he kept throwing himself on the floor.  He finally caved and let me feed him, thankfully.  He is definitely still stubborn when he wants to be.
I love this series:

I sometimes will stick him in his bouncer and put a show on for he and Nate if I need to shower or get something done.  One day I came down to check on them and found him like this:
Apparently I should have just put him down!

He's in a tricky in-between stage with naps.  He will often still take two naps if his morning nap isn't too long.  Or he'll take one long nap, but he still gets pretty cranky in the evening when that happens. He is SO good about going down for naps.  Even when he doesn't like the idea of a nap and starts complaining when I walk up the stairs, he'll quiet down by the time I get to his bed and doesn't make a peep.  It is wonderful. :)

He's a smart little guy and has figured out our shape sorter toy.  He also loves to build towers and is pretty good at it.  He still has a pretty short attention span when it comes to reading but he'll sit through his favorites.  He loves Baby Food, Barnyard Dance, and Water, Water Everywhere right now.

He still cheers all of us up with his hugs and kisses.  They are the best.  We sure love our Elijah!

No comments: