Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Culture Nights: Brazil & Australia

I need to catch up on a couple of Culture Nights we've had since we moved here.  We're still not on a regular schedule for when to do them so we often go months in between.  One of these days we'll get on that.  We always have so much fun with them.

First we did Brazil.  We got to have some company this time--Marsha brought Christine, Hallie, TJ & Matt over to join us.  I discovered a site called Global Table Adventures a while back and that has been a really good resource for recipes.  I made this feijoada, along with a rice recipe that I found in the comments of that post from someone who was Brazilian (I can't find it there now).  I also sauteed some kale in coconut oil and served that as well.  Then we had this passion fruit mousse for dessert.  Unfortunately I couldn't find the right passion fruit concentrate so it was overly sweet.  Oh well, it was a pretty tasty meal.  We presented a little bit on the things we learned (Elizabeth did the Amazon, Natalie did animals, I did music, and Nate and Joe did sports) and then we watched Rio.  It was a fun night.  Sadly, I didn't get a single picture.

Just last Friday we did Australia.  We had these Aussie burgers with chips (fries).  When I went to get the link to that recipe, I noticed that we forgot the pineapple!  Darn...that would have been good.  They were pretty tall burgers, anyway, though.
Our version:
The kids wouldn't put the pickled beets on their burgers but I made them try them.
Elizabeth did put a fried egg on hers.
I also bought some Vegemite online so we sampled some of that on toast:
This sums up what the kids thought of it:
Ha!
After dinner we presented what we'd learned.
Natalie did animals:
Elizabeth talked about the convicts that were sent to Australia:
I helped Nate make a powerpoint about Australian sports:
I talked about geography and climate and Joe talked about the indigenous people.  We wanted to watch The Rescuers Down Under but we ran out of time.  We did watch the music video to Men at Work's "Down Under" though, so that counts for something. :)  

No comments: