Sunday, July 27, 2008

Judging

For awhile now I have been often thinking about my propensity to judge others. I've been trying to make a conscious effort to stop any judgmental thoughts in their tracks instead of entertaining them and pathetically trying to make myself feel better by putting someone else down, even if only mentally. Then, I recently came across a scripture in the New Testament that really affected me:

"Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yes, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand."
-Romans 14:4

This verse really pointed out to me that when we judge another person in any way, we are essentially undermining Jesus Christ and His ability to save that person. Even if someone has truly been in the wrong in some way, He can "make [them] stand" through the power of His Atonement. I know that I would be a much happier and more loving person if I could just remember this and realize that most everyone is just doing the best they can. I'm thankful for my Savior and that he is able to make me stand, even when I fall on my face over and over again. I'm thankful for my faith in Him and the hope it gives me not only for myself but for mankind and the world we live in.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Thank-you for that beautiful reminder, that's always what I've tried to do...sometimes I'm better at it than other times. I felt the spirit testify to me of the truth you just wrote, thanks, I must have needed it!