Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Small miracle

Like many other parents out there, I often wonder if the work I am putting in to teach my kids will ever bear any kind of fruit. For instance, how many times does a parent have to remind their child to wash their hands after using the bathroom before they will do it without being nagged? 100? 1000?

Well, this past week I experienced a small victory. I am constantly asking Elizabeth to take her plate/bowl/silverware to the sink after she has finished eating. She does so willingly, but would never remember by herself. One day I went into the kitchen and saw this:

She had been eating a smoothie with a spoon and paper cup and actually put her spoon in the sink without being asked! I checked the garbage, and the paper cup was in it (no I don't have a picture of that :). She didn't even do it to score points since she ran off to play immediately afterward. I was so excited that I took the above picture and resolved to blog about this momentous occasion.

Of course, she hasn't remembered once since then... Still, baby steps. Baby steps.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Way to keep it real! And way to go Elizabeth!

So, I love that you used the example of washing hands because it wasn't that hard of a milestone for Dallin, but EVERYTIME Mia goes to the bathroom I tell her to wash her hands and EVERYTIME she asks, "Why?" Uh! I guess I need to find reason 1001 why we wash our hands when they're obviously, "NOT DIRTY!"

Cindy said...

Cute little Elizabeth, we miss her dearly. We got her picture the other day and Maddie LOVED it. Thanks for remembering us :)

Becca said...

You are such a great mom :). I miss you, and Joe, and your girls. I love to hear about the milestones you're all reaching together :). I love you guys!