Friday, August 21, 2009

Bonus Time

Yesterday was another milestone around here. I've now officially made it farther along in this pregnancy than I ever have before. We're in uncharted waters.

I'm still doing fine. I just started going in for fetal monitoring twice a week. When you add weekly appointments to that I think that any problems I may have will at least be caught quickly. They didn't give me a date for the c-section yet like I thought they would at my last appointment. Tuesday will be the day we set the date. At my last appointment they surprised me by saying that we might not schedule it until 38 or 39 weeks. I have been planning on 37 this whole pregnancy since that is what I've always been told. I never thought I would go beyond like Sept. 10th. So, it was a little disconcerting to hear that. Maybe I'm being selfish. OK, I know I'm being selfish. Obviously we want to for sure avoid a NICU stay for this baby if at all possible. Just the thought of being able to keep the baby with me in my room and actually take him home with us when we leave gets me so excited. Not to mention avoiding the health concerns, endless trips back and forth from the hospital, endless pumping, emotional stress and all of the other NICU-associated difficulties. Maybe I'm just taking it for granted that all 37-weekers do fine when I really shouldn't assume that. Anyway, we will be talking to the doctor on Tuesday about all of this and I'm sure the right decision will be made.

In the meantime, I am getting very excited which results in occasion bursts of productivity. Still no name decided on. I am sure it will wait until the baby is here.

I had a dream the other night that the baby was here and I was feeding him. It was one of those times when I was surprised to realize that it wasn't real and that I am still pregnant. Anyway, he was really fair with pink skin and light hair in my dream. We'll see if that's the case or not. Watch he'll be dark with tons of black hair. That would be funny.

OK, that's it for now. Just consider no updates as good news for awhile and wish us luck. :)

11 comments:

Marin said...

Yeah!!! Oh we are so excited for you guys! I have some boy baby blankets if you need them. Just let me know. I have tons of blankets for a boy. Your having a c-section? Maybe you can help me prepare for one. I am so worried to have a c-section, I just hope I have them vaginally but I know I probably wont.

Stephanie said...

That's awesome you've gotten so far. I've been thinking about you and keeping an eye on your blog. That's a LOT of dr. appointments! Good luck with everything.

Michelle said...

That's great! Let him cook as long as you can! Boy names are hard, we have had to come up with one twice.

Regina said...

It is good to hear that everything is going good. It is also promising that they are thinking of waiting until 38 or 39 weeks, that means that they are pretty confident. I am sure that the right decision will be made and that all will be for the best. You are in our prayers. James wants to come to California so bad and see Lizzy, it is kind of sad. Anyway keep us posted and we miss you guys tons.

Marjorie said...

Wahoo! And Congrats!!! I hope you have a handy babysitter to watch your girls three times a week. Wish we lived by each other to swap :). As for names let us know what you're thinking of so we can steal one of them:). So far I like Carter and Miles the best (Riley will always be at the top and I also liked Emmett which Chris shot down quickly). Chris likes Shawn and Ethan. We'll see who wins out, it may not even be any of these names! I'm excited to watch your progress. For both our sakes I hope I come first:)...

Nursemom said...

I wish you tons of luck. I wouldnt' wish a NICU stay on anyone and you've already had your fair share. I hope he comes out screaming at the top of his lungs. I'm sure you'll do great no matter what the decision. I can't wait to meet him through your blog when he finally comes.

Jordan and Luci said...

Good luck and it's about time there was an update. Ever since we talked I have been expecting a post w/ news of the little guy, but I'm being "unselfish" in my hopes that you get to experience the joys of pregnancy in the final weeks:). Keep us posted!

CHELZERS said...

yay for BONUS TIME!! That's the best news! You have THE BEST doctor so I have all confidence that he is right when he says 38 or 39 weeks!
You looked great today! Hope you continue to feel better.
p.s. i don't miss fetal monitering. trying to find three heart-beats and keeping it there when you have three wigglers was rediculous. but, of course, i was very happy and relieved when they were actually found. :)

The Olsens said...

Well done Ashley! We are so excited for you and your sweet little boy!

Lisa said...

Yay! I say keep that baby in as long as you can!

Leslie said...

Oh yay! I'm so glad that you've made it so far this time. What a blessing. I think about you sometimes and wonder how things are going. I'm sure it's strange to be in uncharted territory, but you will do great whenever he comes. Wouldn't that be awesome to keep him in your room and take him home with you?

I hope you know how much I admire you. Whenever I worry about my pregnancy or a possible c-section, I think about how much faith and grace you have. I really try to be as composed and collected as you are (or appear to be). You are amazing. Congrats on a long pregnancy!