Friday, January 29, 2010

Raindrops on roses, etc.

I thought I would post about some of my favorite things lately.

1. I requested this item for Christmas and LOVE it so far.
The enamel was chipping off of our other beater (what's with that?--we've only had it 6 years) and we risked consuming it in our food long enough. Anyway, this thing is great. Why couldn't I think of inventing that? When I made the cake batter for Elizabeth's birthday, I didn't have to scrape the bowl one bit.

2. I love this soup*. Serve it with grilled cheese sandwiches and it is so yummy and takes all of 10 minutes to prepare. The girls love it, too.
*Just don't make the mistake I did and buy the low-sodium kind. I could definitely tell the difference. The kids did, too, and were not fans of it either.

3. This game:
Elizabeth and I were playing last night and I was amazed at how good she is. I like it because it's math-y and all about seeing patterns. I keep hoping she'll like math, too. So far she does. For the record, Joe hates this game so if you don't like games like this don't bother with this one but I think it's fun.

4. This roll recipe that I got from a friend from church:

60 Minute Rolls
Combine:

3 1/2 c. flour

1/4 c. sugar (or less)

2 Tbsp. yeast

2 Tbsp. dry milk powder

1 tsp. salt


In glass measuring cup combine:
1 1/2 c. hottest tap water

1/4 c. vegetable oil


Gradually pour the liquid into the dry mixture, stirring. Beat (by hand or mixer) for 1 minute. Gradually add another 1 cup of flour and knead for 4 minutes. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes. Punch down and pinch off little balls about the size of golf balls. Place in greased 9x13 pan (we like about a Tbsp. of butter melted in the bottom). Brush another Tbsp. of butter on top of rolls. Cover and let rise 15 minutes. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes. Makes 24 rolls.


They are so fast to make and oh so yummy. I make them all the time now. I always half it and use more than half whole wheat flour.

4. These cute clippies. I finally got my act together and ordered some hair clippies from my friend Cindy. I don't want to steal one of her pictures but her button is on the side. I love them! They are all adorable, for one thing, and the girls fight over which ones they get to wear. But, what I love most is that they don't fall out! Thanks again, Cindy.

5. This book:
If you haven't read it, I would really recommend it. My mom let me borrow it when Natalie was a baby and I loved it then. I got it for Christmas and have been reading it again. She writes so beautifully and it makes me feel calmer just reading it.

4 comments:

Tiffany Kadani said...

Great list! I'm definitely going to try the 60 minute rolls.

The Good Life said...

That beater blade is now on my birthday wish list! What a great idea!

Unknown said...

I love this blog post idea, and just may copy you.

Unknown said...

Also, I am glad to know that soup is good. I have only tried the tomato one, without the pepper, but will try this one now too.