Thursday, January 20, 2011

Is it still January?

We spent quite a while studying the Articles of Faith during our family scripture study and we finally finished! We learned all of them. I was so impressed with how fast the kids learned them. Natalie wanted me to video her one day and we got a bunch of video of her saying them (well, singing them since we learned them all by learning the songs). I'll just post this one, the 5th Article of Faith, because I think it's hilarious how she says it...



And here is a cute picture of her taken recently for a preschool project...


Some more funny happenings...
-Tonight we were watching Newshour on PBS and left the TV on for "This Old House" which came on after. The girls came in and were quite entranced by it. After it was over they both said how much they loved that show. Then, as they were brushing their teeth in the bathroom I overheard them both take turns showcasing things around them, i.e., "Here you have some beautiful flowers on the wall," and "Here is a wonderful mirror that you can look in after your mom does your hair". Perhaps we have some future interior designers on our hands. (There would have to be some crazy rogue genes at work when you consider the design skills of their parents.)
-MLK Jr. Day resulted in yet another funny conversation in our home this year (here was last year's). Elizabeth was explaining to Natalie what she learned in school about how people used to be mean to people who were black. Actually she got confused and said "gray" first. Anyway, then she turned to me and said, "If you lived back then, Mom, you wouldn't have been able to sit by Daddy on the bus. The people with dark skin had to sit in the back and the people with light skin sat in the front." So, there you go. She thinks of her dad as being black. The terms "black" and "white" must seem so meaningless to kids who only think about skin color when they are determining which crayon to use to draw somebody and no one is actually black or white, more like pinkish or orange-ish or brownish.

Also, here is another interesting Wall Street Journal article. This one is on having a "tech detox" to improve family relationships. I am considering this myself. I don't know. Going a week without checking my e-mail might kill me. :) (By the way, that last article I posted generated a ton of responses, too; here is one.) Have you seen this article, too? It's about some of the popular "Mormon mommy bloggers" and the non-Mormon followings they have.

Just for fun, here's another link to a poster I love. Ah, so true...

Here are some things I'm thankful for today:
-That my kids love each other. Watching Elizabeth dance with Nate. Watching Natalie crack Nate up with her "Peekaboo class". Watching the girls give each other huge hugs before bed.
-A nice, sunny day.
-A husband who changes dirty diapers every night. :)

6 comments:

Tiffany Kadani said...

Hilarious! You have the cutest kids ever. Love how they showcased everything. So funny!

Stephanie said...

Ashley, I could have written this post myself. First of all, the AoF- we have been working on them too. I've been considering a tech detox, more like wishing I could, because I rarely use a phone to contact people about certain things, and I could not possibly go a week without checking my email. But I often wonder what would happen if I turned of the tv, computer, etc. Also, that Mormon Mommy Blogger article is totally interesting. I had a lot of mixed feelings as a read it.

A Roper said...

The MLK discussion made me laugh so hard!!! :D

Glade and I had a major "discussion" about the last WSJ article you published...haha.

I need to do this "tech detox." Speaking of...I should probably stop commenting and play with my kids! :D

A Roper said...

The MLK discussion made me laugh so hard!!! :D

Glade and I had a major "discussion" about the last WSJ article you published...haha.

I need to do this "tech detox." Speaking of...I should probably stop commenting and play with my kids! :D

Sandra said...

Ya know..I think Tyrone will like Joe even more now, knowing that they could possibly be related!! Love it!!

Jordan and Luci said...

I loved the title of this post because that is how I feel. HOW is JANUARY THE DANG LONGEST MONTH of the ENTIRE YEAR?!?! Anyways, your kids are so cute. I need to do better at teaching my own.