Thursday, March 17, 2011

What's for dinner?

I am sick of everything I cook. I was talking to a friend the other day whose children are older than mine. Her oldest is in college. We were talking about how her kids have their favorite meals that she makes (don't all kids?--I still make my favorite meals from when I was a kid). I asked if she ever gets sick of everything she makes and she said a resounding "yes!" That's why she is always trying new recipes. Her kids don't necessarily enjoy that, but she has to do it for her own sake. So, apparently this is a common problem.

I recently wrote down all of the meals I could think of that I make. I came up with a list of 52. That was more than I was expecting. You'd think I wouldn't be sick of them all with that many, but I am. I still make them, of course, and I do still enjoy eating most of them. It's just that the thought of making something from that list no longer excites me, which makes cooking feel like an even bigger chore. Anyway, I am going to post the list mostly for my own sake. I think that years down the road I might actually enjoy looking back on this list, just like I sometimes enjoy thinking about the things I made when we were first married and I had no idea how to cook. Here it is:
(Sorry--the list is cut off when this posts and I don't know how to fix it. Hopefully you can still figure out what they are!)

1. roast chicken

2. beef stroganoff

3. pork chops

4. chicken and stuffing

5. chicken taco soup

6. black bean soup

7. corn chowder

8. chicken noodle soup

9. tortellini sausage soup

10. creamy cauliflower soup

11. white bean soup

12. chicken cacciatore

13. mango salsa chicken

14. baked orange chicken

15. stir fry

16. asian chicken salad

17. fried rice

18. black beans and lime rice

19. refried beans and Spanish rice

20. burgers and fries

21. baked potatoes

22. crepes

23. cornflake chicken

24. beef tacos

25. chicken tacos

26. fajitas

27. taquitos

28. sub sandwiches

29. BLTs

30. chicken enchiladas

31. spaghetti

32. beef stew

33. sweet pork

34. chicken parmesan

35. chicken and mushrooms

36. pizza

37. paninis

38. asian roll-ups

39. mushroom risotto

40. spiced beef brisket

41. roast beef

42. french dip

43. baked spaghetti

44. Mediterranean salad

45. café rio pork

46. baked ravioli

47. tomato artichoke pasta

48. spinach feta pasta

49. pasta salad

50. baked chicken penne

51. murkha dal (lentils)

52. indian tomato chicken

Now, if anyone wants any of these recipes I would be happy to send them to you (or give you the link). BUT, you must send one of your favorites to me in return! As you can see, I have a lot of Mexican-type meals already, so unless it's different from one of these and really good, none of those please. If you have any good vegetarian meals, those would be greatly appreciated. Not only are they typically cheaper and healthier, but for some reason I am sick to death of cooking meat lately (I am not pregnant!). Also, I do occasionally cook fish but I haven't lately because we are trying to save money right now and it seems to me that it has gotten a lot more expensive. I used to be able to get a bag of salmon filets from Costco for like $13 but now that same bag is over $20. Maybe I'm just imagining that, but I thought that was the case. Is there a cheaper way to get fish that I don't know about?

If you haven't noticed from my blog already, I love Our Best Bites. Many of the above recipes are from them, including the black bean soup, tortellini sausage soup, and baked chicken penne (except I used roasted red peppers). They are good. I love pretty much all of the recipes of theirs that I have tried.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

5 comments:

Angela said...

For dinner tonight we had corned beef and cabbage for the first time to celebrate St. Patrick's Day! I didn't know if I'd like it, but it was good and a nice way to switch it up. Your list looks better than mine. :)

Jackie said...

I tried a mango chicken recipe a few weeks ago, and it was NASTY. I can eat just about anything and I couldn't finish it. I would like to try your recipe. I laughed when I saw that and knew I'd ask you for it and then read I'd have to give you one of my recipes. I'll message you a recipe on facebook. It'll be hard not to be mexican, because I love to cook mexican too. By the way, have you tried Our Best Bites' taquitos? Divine!

Tiffany Kadani said...

You know that chicken dish that you made us last year? Chris to this day talks about it and is like "If the Atkins invite us over do you think they'll make that chicken dish again?" I'm telling ya, he requests it all the time.

Chris and I like to make chicken with the Wingers recipe. It's so good and not healthy but it's good.

Michelle said...

I was going to say Our Best bites but then I read until the end! I just got their cook book and love it! I also like Rookie Cookie and she has a Moroccan Chicken recipe that is to DIE for. Our list changes with the seasons. In the summer time we do tons of yummy salads which I love and fits the vegetarian theme. Have you tried the White Chicken Chili from our best bites? Best. soup. ever.

Lisa said...

My friend started this blog:
http://www.dinnertimeideas.blogspot.com/

She has some good recipes. I am also sick of cooking but that is nothing new. Ash you are a fabulous cook and everything you have made us or that we have had at your house is always DELISH!! :)