Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Ragnar Wasatch Back

I got to run through beautiful scenery like this a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the experience wasn't quite so serene. I don't think it could be when you and 11 others are running a total of 192 miles over a day and a half.

Serene or not, it sure was a lot of fun! In fact I will probably be back for more next year.... I would REALLY like to do the Napa Valley one now, though. Who's with me?? Atkins? Allens? ... Bueller? :)

Back to this year--I was in a great van with Tom, Joe's Dad, and a bunch of young'uns: Joe's brother Richard, Mary & Becca Carlisle, and Eric Stakebake (Joe's cousins). Just kidding...I'm really only a year and half older than Richard so I guess I'm in that category. We had a Despicable Me theme going for our team--"Gru and his minions."

I guess we did some running, too...

Here we are all at the start line at USU at 5:30am:
(These pictures are all courtesy of Tom and Regina)
Mary (the shiny one) was first up

I was third. My first leg was 5.6 miles. I started out feeling terrible and was really worried. I said a silent prayer, though, and soon hit my stride and made it through fine. I was definitely feeling the altitude. Everything seemed harder.

My second leg was in the heat of the late afternoon/early evening. This was maybe my hardest run, even though it was shortest--4.9 miles. I don't know why but it just was.

Here I am getting some water from my team:
After our van finished our second legs, we went to a local high school that was opened up for us and slept on the floor of an auditorium. We were up again at 4 to get ready to run our last legs.

I had been worried for months about my last leg--7.9 miles and it was mostly uphill. I hadn't had any way to practice hills here in flat Sacramento. Luckily, it went fine. I was feeling really good and I just kept plugging away at it. I couldn't quite make it to the top without walking for a little stretch but I was still proud of how I did. At one difficult part of the run, Coldplay's "The Scientist" came on and totally motivated me ("No-body said it was ea-sy").

Here I am coming in at the end of the run, so glad to be done:

It was a really cool feeling later to be sitting in the car looking at the mountain I ran up.

Some more pictures:
With Chris and Regina who were on a team with Regina's family
(As rock 'n roll as I get :)

Coming in at the finish line at Park City High School
Our whole team:
(Lorna did a great job with the shirts!)

Special thanks to Marsha, Christine and Hallie for watching my kids! I guess I neglected to mention that the kids and I drove to UT alone and left Joe behind so he could study for the bar. Then we stuck around for two weeks until a family reunion. More to come on all that...

3 comments:

Tiffany Kadani said...

That is so awesome! What a life changing thing you did. I think you are officially a runner now.

Marin said...

SO AMAZING!!! You did it! That is so great! What a great experience. I love the rock out pictures! Also I can't believe you drove all the way to Utah with you and the kids. You are so brave. Hope studying is going well I can't believe it is in less than TWO WEEKS!!! I am sooo excited but I know Justin isn't feeling that so much. HOPE to talk to you guys soon or maybe even see you guys before you head over to the bay area. Justin might head up there in the beginning of August to look for some interviews or even spaces to start his job!!! We will see though!

Jordan and Luci said...

That is awesome Ash! Seriously, that is a good time, but now that I know what to expect I would be scared to do it again. You look amazing too.