Monday, March 4, 2013

8 Years Old

 My oldest turned 8.  It happened.  Like I mentioned, I was sick on her birthday.  I think she still had a nice day, though.  I'm going to blame the lack of pictures on the sickness.  

The day started with her favorite breakfast--German pancakes.  Then it was off to school.  Nate, Eli and I picked her up for lunch at Subway and gave her some brownies to take back to her class to celebrate.  After school, she still had to do homework and go to her piano lesson but then she got to help make her cake.  I was really impressed with the rose she made:


Then it was her birthday dinner: beef stroganoff again, with rice, corn on the cob (nasty corn that was like $1 a cob--we need to outlaw that for the winter birthdays) and rosemary bread.  Then it was present and cake time.

She was really sweet and thankful for all of her gifts.  She had already gotten her own set of scriptures so she didn't get much else.  She loved the baptism dress we got her, Natalie's locket, and the scripture pencils from Nate.  She also got a telescope from grandparents.  We're still trying to figure out how to use the thing.  I just love the types of things that she wants.  She is definitely not a spender and doesn't care much about money.  She has money and gift cards that she's been holding for quite awhile.  Unfortunately, this means she isn't motivated much by our allowance system.  She will usually do most of her jobs anyway but she just never marks it off.  She's funny that way.


Can I just say how much I love that my girls still want to dress alike?  I'm starting to feel like an era is ending and we are on the verge of another one.  Yes, I'm being dramatic.  Still, I don't know much longer it will be that a trip to the park will make all of my kids jump for joy.  Or how much longer they'll all be thrilled to watch The Backyardigans or Cat in the Hat.  She'll probably start to grow out of these things soon.  It is definitely exciting, too.  I feel like I can trust her with more and more.  And heck, just a few more years and she can babysit!  That will be a wonderful day.  I'm not going to wish away these years, though.  We've got a lot more after-school trips to the park in us.

Elizabeth is an oldest girl, for sure.  The second mom.  Yes she can be bossy.  She even calls her younger siblings by their full names when she's mad at them :).  I don't know too many kids who do that.  She is also so caring and takes really good care of them, too, whether it's teaching Nate how to read, trying to help Natalie learn to tie her shoes or rocking Elijah.

I love these pictures because of her sweet smile and the Little House book in the background.
Typical Lizzy:


For Christmas, Elizabeth got horseback riding lessons.  She has LOVED it and it's fun for me to watch her.  I'm actually pretty jealous about it since I've never ridden a horse but my time will come. 

It's just through the city but no one else has signed up so she gets private lessons.  
Here she is with her instructor:
No hands!
These two love to watch, too:
 Her month is almost up and we're trying to decide whether or not to keep going.  It's a big time commitment. 

We sure do love our Lizzy.  I love her hugs and when she tells me that she's so glad I'm her mom.  I am so thankful for her. 

No comments: