Friday, August 29, 2014

Grandpa Hall

Joe's Grandpa Hall passed away last week.  He was 94 and we knew the end was coming.  His wife had died about 8 years earlier and he was ready to be with her again.  Still, it's always hard to say goodbye.  We drove back to Idaho for the funeral last weekend.

It was a really wonderful service.  It was fun for me to learn a little more about his life.  And boy did he live a good one.  It was one of those truly inspiring funerals where you leave wanting to be a better person.

The graveside service was really powerful.  Grandpa had served in the Navy during World War II and so there was a special military service for him.  (I stole a lot of these pictures from Joe's cousins)
Look at how handsome he was:


After the funeral and luncheon, Joe got to gather at his grandparents' (now his aunt's) house for a big game of whiffle ball with his cousins.  It sounded like they had a blast.  I'm so glad he got that time.  Nate went with him and had a lot of fun, too.



I'm so glad that we had the opportunity to visit Grandpa Hall on our last Idaho trip and especially that we had time with him last summer.
He was so lucid that time and Joe loved talking to him about some of his memories.  Grandpa Hall was really a remarkable man.  I could see that immediately when I joined the family.  He loved his wife dearly and he often said so.  He was always so cheerful and optimistic.  I think that Joe inherited some of that optimism and enthusiasm--qualities I've always loved about him.  Grandpa Hall also made me feel very loved and welcomed into the family and I was so grateful for that.  He was just a genuinely good and kind man.  I'm sure he had his faults, but they were very hard to see.  I hope we can all try to live up to his excellent example.

No comments: