Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Catch-up Begins

Yes we are alive and we made it to Virginia. We finally have the internet and I finally have some energy to post something. Unfortunately I got sick during the trip out here and have been recovering ever since. Natalie is sick, too, and possibly teething. Whatever it is has created some raging mood swings and she is demanding to be held constantly lately. I find myself doing laps around the kitchen to avoid standing still so she won't come up saying "Up! Up!". If I'm moving, I think she knows not to attempt it most of the time. I know, I'm a bad mom. I just can't hold her all of the time.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. We're here in our new apartment (a 2 bedroom, by the way, which has taken some adjusting--that's probably worthy of post in and of itself). It is pretty nice, though, and fairly spacious. The bathrooms are actually much bigger than the ones in our house. We made it here late Friday night and after a few days of confusion about where exactly we would be living we are settled and mostly unpacked. I'm loving the weather here. It really doesn't feel that humid to me but it is humid enough to have completely cured my dry, cracked hands (the Utah winter was harsh on them). It's been in the 70s and low 80s but always pretty breezy so it hasn't been too hot. Joe may say differently, though, since he's the one outside all day.

Now that we're within driving distance of the Atlantic coast, we decided to go see it Sunday evening and walk around (I don't want to say exactly where we are but you can e-mail me if you want to know). I just realized that Joe and I have now been to a Pacific, Atlantic and Indian ocean coast. They are all beautiful. I love the ocean.

Look at the cute footprints

More footprints (I love them :)
Natalie and Uncle Richard
Elizabeth was having a great time running away from the waves until she tripped and face-planted into the sand.

Before:
After:
So, thus ended our "walk along the beach" that ended up more like swimming in the ocean. I guess we should have known we couldn't keep the kids from the water. Next time we'll wear bathing suits. More to follow....

8 comments:

Marjorie said...

Chris and I were just talking about you guys wondering how your cross country trip went. I love the before and after pictures of Elizabeth, I visualized the fall in my head:) Just yesterday Jared asked for Elizabeth. We said she's moved far away. I don't think he gets it. How miserable to be sick when traveling; I hope you feel better soon!

Amber said...

I"m glad that ya'll got to Virginia safely. It looks like the beach was fun; I've been having a huge beach craving---we'll see when we can actually fulfill it! :)

shani-o said...

Aww, poor Elizabeth! What a cute before and after. I remember when I was a kid and we'd go to the beach just to "walk around" I'd end up soaked, too! Kids just can't help it.

I hope you like VA, it's my dad's home state (and right next to my alma mater), and I have fond memories of the time I spent there.

Jackie said...

It sounds like you're being quite optimistic after all that travelling with two little ones, a cold, and a new place to adjust to. The beach is usually a nice fix. What did you do with your house anyway? Did you sell it or rent it?

I wish for some humidity too. My poor hands. They're always suffering.

Cindy said...

I'm so happy you made it to VA! What a trip that must have been! I must admit I am a bit jealous that you are in my home state. It is such a great place and so fun for you to be near the coast. Enjoy it! Some of my best childhood memories were at beaches around that area.

Grandma Larry said...

So glad you arrived safe and sound! All in all sounds like a fun trip! I hope you like it in Ole Virginey half as much as I do! Soft skin, soft hair though insanely curly, lightening bugs, chiggers(er), crabs and clam bakes!I can smell the ocean! I love going home! I hope we get to come visit, (hint hint hint...) Keep the pictures coming, they are awesome! Happy New Home!

Lisa said...

The before and after pictures of Elizabeth are priceless....

Debbie said...

Yeah Virginia,
Which temple district are you in? If you go to the DC temple we should meet there and visit a while!