Thursday, May 15, 2008

Random Post

I don't really have anything specific to post so I may just ramble. Beware...

Natalie is in a really cute stage lately. Anytime you ask her anything in the form of a question she says this cute little "Dah" which means yeah. The other night I asked Elizabeth if she wanted to say the prayer and Natalie kept saying "Dah" so I decided to let her try. She actually did pretty well repeating the words one at a time that I told her and we kept it very simple. It was so cute and Elizabeth loved it.

When we were eating dinner yesterday, Elizabeth says out of the blue, "when I'm older, I'm going to listen to strange music." This comes from a pretty famous children's book. Does anyone know it? I'll give you a prize. Well, probably not :). I told her I probably would think her music was strange. She did promise me, though, that she would still like the Temptations.

Speaking of books, I made a trip to Barnes and Noble to use a gift card (Thanks Katie!) and got these books:





I can't decide what I think of The Host yet although I am definitely into it. As you can see, I got a little carried away in the children's section. I just kept finding books from my childhood that I couldn't resist. I had forgotten all about Big Dog...Little Dog but that was one of my favorites as a child. I also love The Paper Bag Princess. Berenstain Bears books are just classics. Can you tell from the ones I picked what issues I wanted to address with Elizabeth? That's the great thing about those books. She is still saying "I want to go home" or "I want to go back to Utah" a few times a day, hence Moving Day. She's definitely improving, though. Also, I'm learning that the talking to strangers, safety, etc., issue is tricky to teach a young child. The book handles it well and we have talked about it a few times before, too. Anyway, one day after we had the read the book we were walking to the park. I said hi to a landscaper at our apartment complex and he said hi back. After we walked by, Elizabeth said "We shouldn't talk to strangers". Then I tried to explain that saying hi to strangers as long as Mommy is right by you is OK. It's kind of a subtle distinction and I think it went over her head. Any ideas about teaching this?

Well, I think I'll ignore the dishes and go read my book some more... :)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I can't wait to read the HOST!! Also I LOVE the "Paper Bag Princess" That is such a cute book.

Grandma Larry said...

I thought The Host was not being released until August! How is it?

Marjorie said...

I totally know the book, "I'll Love you Forever" Been read many a times in our home. I love how books can teach kids in a fun way. When I try to talk to Jared more often than not the topic is way over his head but a book he's enthralled in. I wonder how much they learn and think to apply to their life....? They're smarter than we think though, that's for sure!

Jordan and Luci said...

Ash! I just finished the host and I'm dying to talk to someone. I said the exact same think. "I don't know how I feel about it, but I couldn't put it down." We need to talk!