Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

As I experience more and more Mother's Days as a mother myself, I am filled with more and more gratitude to the mothers in my life. I feel so blessed and humbled when I think of the mothers that have gone before me and made my life possible. Both of my grandmothers are women of enduring faith who sacrificed much to bless the lives of their children and grandchildren. I love them both for all they have given and for the lives they have led.

My own mother embodies the word mother perfectly and possesses all of the virtues associated with that word. She is kind, patient, loving, selfless, and constantly putting the needs of her family before her own. Now that I am a mother myself, I wonder how she does it. I just hope I can be even half the mother she is. I love you, Mom.

These two pictures were taken last summer

If anyone is feeling inadequate this Mother's Day (as I occasionally do) please read this talk by Elder Holland. Here is a quote from it:

Remember, remember all the days of your motherhood: “Ye have not come thus far save it were by the word of Christ with unshaken faith in him, relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save.”

Rely on Him. Rely on Him heavily. Rely on Him forever. And “press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope.” You are doing God’s work. You are doing it wonderfully well. He is blessing you and He will bless you, even—no, especially—when your days and your nights may be the most challenging. Like the woman who anonymously, meekly, perhaps even with hesitation and some embarrassment, fought her way through the crowd just to touch the hem of the Master’s garment, so Christ will say to the women who worry and wonder and sometimes weep over their responsibility as mothers, “Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole.” And it will make your children whole as well.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you mothers out there. You all inspire me to be better. Thank you for your examples and support.

4 comments:

Maria and Ross said...

I love the picture with you and grandma, so cute. I have been thinking about her so much lately, and really she is such an example to us all. We are lucky to have her example to follow. Happy Mother's Day to you!

Lisa said...

I LOVE that quote by Elder Holland. It is one of my favorites. I have it in my scriptures. Hope you had a great Mother's Day.

Jaime said...

Oh, I'm glad you made it safely there. It looks beautiful. We just drove back from St. George and I just can't imagine 23 hours all at once. You guys are amazing.

Leslie said...

Ash-- I'm soooo sad we missed you here in Wisconsin! I felt horrible. We would have loved to see you all. Glad to hear that you made it across the country. (We have yet to endeavor to make the drive from this far out.) Have fun this summer and with your future adventures. I love hearing what you are up to!