Thursday, July 2, 2009

Remembering the Time

I must admit that I got wrapped up in all of the Michael Jackson coverage last week. Joe and I both, actually. I'm out of that stage now, luckily, but I did want to blog about some of my thoughts. I have always been a fan of his music, although probably never a fan of the man himself. In watching interviews with him and coverage of his life, though, I have come to feel that maybe I was wrong in believing all of the negative press about him. I certainly hope that I was wrong. In any case, he definitely had a difficult life.

You can't deny that he was talented. I have been a fan for as long as I can remember. My mom was a big Michael Jackson fan. Mainly just a fan of Thriller (the album). I remember her putting the tape on in our old Volvo when I was really young. One of the first tapes I ever owned was the single "You Are Not Alone". I don't really understand it now but I loved that song as a kid. Then there was my "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough" karaoke experience at our high school fair my senior year. Ah the memories.

Here are some of my favorite MJ songs (I added some of them to our playlist):
-"Will You Be There": This is such a great song. Plus it reminds me of my best friend Kari who loved it, mainly because of the part where he yells, "Carr-y!" She liked to think he was saying that to her. :)
-"Butterflies": Not many people liked his last album but I love this song.
-"I Want You Back": My girls have loved "ABC" for awhile now just from hearing it on the radio but this one is my favorite Jackson Five song. I just can't believe he sang like that at such a young age. Amazing.
-"Man in the Mirror": Good song. Good message.
-"Human Nature": I just love this song.
-"Billie Jean": Classic.

What are your favorites?

2 comments:

Ashli Miller said...

I got caught up in it too. I didn't realize i was such a fan until he was gone and I realized how sad I am that he's never going to make a comeback. There are so many good songs, but I really love You Rock My World. It is so much fun to dance to!

Jordan and Luci said...

I haven't seen much, since we don't have cable or a tv, but I LOVE his music. I'm not too fond of him personally, but his music is timeless. I love all of his songs. I can't really think of my favorite, but I've always loved Thriller. I've always wanted to learn the dance on the video. Miss you guys! When are you due again?