Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Great Song

Recently, I was listening to a CD in the car. It was a recording of a concert put on by the Logan Institute Choir way back when. Joe was actually president of that choir when we met through the beginning of our marriage. When we lived in Logan after we were married, I would go watch their performances and I loved it. Listening to the CD reminded me of those happy times and of the beautiful music they sang.

There's a song on the CD that I first heard at that concert and it became one of my favorites. It's called "I Love the Lord" and it is an adaptation of the psalm of Nephi (or 2 Nephi 4 from the Book of Mormon) and is set to the tune of "Be Still My Soul". Listening to the song again reminded me of how much I love it. It portrays exactly how I've always read that scripture in my own mind. Nephi is sorrowing because of his weakness and sins until the statement that turns it all around: "nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted". That to me is the key. We don't have to be perfect. We just have to trust and have faith in the Lord and know that He is there to help us.

Here is a video I found of the BYU Men's Choir singing it at the Priesthood session of Conference a few years ago (with some pictures added):


I Love the Lord

I love the Lord, In Him my soul delights.
Upon His word, I ponder day and night.
He's heard my cry, brought visions to my sleep,
And kept me safe o'er deserts and the deep.
He's filled my heart with His consuming love,
And borne me high on wings of His great dove.

Yet oft I groan, "O wretched man am I"
My flesh is weak and I'm encompassed by
A world of sin, which holds me in its thrall,
If I give in and to temptations fall.
Then strength grows slack, I waste in sorrow's vale;
My peace destroyed, my enemies prevail.

Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin.
Rejoice, my heart! And let me praise again,
The Lord my God, who is my rock and stay
To keep me strict upon His straight, plain way.
Oh let me shake at the first sight of sin
And thus escape my foes without and in.

I love the Lord, in Him my soul delights.

3 comments:

justin said...

we LoVE this song also! sooo great
- marin

Jordan and Luci said...

I have never heard that. THat is amazing! I just read that chapter on saturday and it has always been one of my favorites. I want to get the sheet music now.

Debbie said...

I really like this song! Thanks for sharing!