Friday, December 3, 2010

Thanksgiving in Utah

We had quite the adventure over Thanksgiving, traveling to Utah and back in 5 days. It actually went pretty smoothly, with a few hiccups along the way.

First off, we tried to leave early Tuesday morning (around 4am) and only made it about 45 minutes when we learned the highway was closed over the pass and we wouldn't make it out that night. We kept the car packed and used Tuesday to get some more things done and then tried again early Wednesday morning. This time we had clear skies (although some icy roads over the pass) but made great time considering the season. I really think I should write a book about long car trips with kids. Well, I guess every family and every kid is different so the book would really only apply to us, but still--I feel like I have this thing down to a science. Or, maybe it's just that our kids are so used to traveling that they are easy in the car. Who knows.

(Here are a couple of tips if anyone would like a little preview to my book: 1)Try to pack healthy snacks to eat in the car. This will help prevent many messes and also makes everyone more pleasant to be around in my opinion. We've done the fast food route and I personally think it increases the likelihood of grouchiness and/or car sickness mishaps. Older kids are probably fine with burgers and fries (heck, that's all we ever had in the car when I was growing up and I did fine) but I think it's too much for young kids. Plus, kids will eat up anything like it's candy during a 12 hour car trip when nothing else is available, including raw broccoli. 2)Bring extra plastic bags! They are essential, whether as trash bags, car sickness bags, or blowout-containing bags. OK, I'm done with my schpiel.)

Now, when I tell you about our little incident in the car on the way, I think I will lose all credence as an expert mother type....

We unintentionally brought along a hanger when we grabbed Natalie's snow coat from the closet. It was one of those kind of thick white plastic hangers from the dollar store or someplace. Elizabeth was playing with it and somehow Nate got a hold of it and was playing with it, too (we didn't notice he had it). Suddenly, there is this piercing cry from the backseat. I look back to see Nate, with the hook part of the hanger IN HIS EYE and he's trying to pull it out himself and just yanking on his eyelid. (Shivers) It still makes me sick just thinking about it. I reach back and get it out. The first pull on the hanger didn't even get it out, it took another little turn, but we got it. Needless to say, Joe and I are freaking out and Joe pulls over to the side of the freeway. We get him out of his seat and I hold him. He had some brownish tears come out at first and he took a little bit to calm down but after that he was completely fine. Man, we were sure he was going to be blinded forever or something. His poor eye was swollen and draining that day and the next but since then he has been fine, thank goodness.

His swollen right eye

But, aside from that, we had a good drive. Here are some pre-incident pictures from the car...

He loved when Lizzie would read him books:

He also loved playing his favorite game on Daddy's iphone.
I think it's so funny to watch a little 1 year-old using an iphone.
He really is the best baby in the car. That is a blessing. Our DVD player just broke so I was nervous about this trip but he did great. I seem to remember the girls being very difficult in the car at his age, forcing us to watch whatever their favorite video was over and over just to keep them happy.

Anyway, we made it to Utah and the girls wasted no time to begin their pleas to play out in the snow. It was like in the teens when this next picture was taken but you couldn't tell by looking at them:

We had a great Thanksgiving with Tom, Lorna, Richard, Jace, Jon, Jaime and family, at Lori and Dustin's beautiful home with their family. They were wonderful hosts and we enjoyed a delicious meal. One main purpose of our trip was to finally meet our little nephew Jace. He was so adorable. He is about 2 1/2 months younger than Nate and I think a little bit bigger!

A little bitter about it...
(just kidding--he was mad because I pulled his thumb out for the picture)
Nate with his older cousin Todd
They were cute together this trip.

Friday night we all met at Temple Square to surprise Marsha. Our other main reason for coming out was to celebrate her 60th birthday.

Despite some hints from the kids, she says she was still surprised:
By the beautiful Christus statue
I just thought this one was funny...
(Poor Natalie's chin got all dry and chapped in Utah)

Grandma with some of her progeny:
That's with 5 kids missing!

It was freezing cold but fun to see the beautiful lights.
With Uncle Richard in front of the temple:
Our family:
I forgot to take off my hood so I look a bit ridiculous. Oops.

Some of the kids by the temple:
The scene in the backseat only minutes into our drive back to Jon and Jaime's:

Some other highlights of our trip:
-Seeing Brad and Kelli and kids and their new beautiful home. Oh, and Cafe Rio. Yum. No pictures, unfortunately. We're still sad they left CA but glad for chances to visit.
-An adults-only party for Marsha Saturday night with everyone together. We ate delicious Filipino food and had a karaoke party. We had so much fun. There is some video floating around but I think we're all hoping it goes away. :) Some of my favorite moments from the night include Tom singing "Ice, Ice Baby", Joe nailing "Feeling Good" by Michael Buble, and a rousing "I Will Survive" by all the girls.

All in all, a great trip and we're so glad we decided to go. The trip back took longer than expected when we hit holiday traffic in the mountains (the roads were dry, at least). We are definitely looking forward to our FIRST travel-free Christmas in 4 years. Now if we could just make it through finals...

3 comments:

CHELZERS said...

cute pictures! I was thinking how cute and snow-bunny-ish you looked in your hood! :)
We pack extra baggies, entire rolls of paper towels, an entire duffel bag of towels and our entire pantry. :0 But, it's works swimmingly for us!! They are great travellers, though.
Thanks for sharing! Glad you'll be 'with us' this year for Christmas though ;)

Stephanie said...

Poor Nate with a hanger in his EYE! How scary. I'm so glad he's okay. Wow, I would never think twice about letting Grant hold one of those. What a fluke! I totally agree with you on healthy road trip food. My favorite is grapes, although they are watery and cause bathroom breaks, I think it's good to keep their system moving! My other roadtrip staple is green apples, because to me they seem to take away nausea, and on the unhealthy side, sour cream & onion Pringles. :) And gatorade. Fun Thanksgiving!

Tiffany Kadani said...

Okay, scary eye thing! I can't imagine how freaked out I would be also.

And Temple Square during Christmastime and Cafe Rio is just about the best two things ever.