Monday, October 29, 2007

Answered Prayer


As we were getting out of the car on Saturday night, the car door shut on Elizabeth's hand. Luckily, nothing was broken and she wasn't hurt too badly although it was bad enough to cause her pain all that night. She wouldn't let us put ice on it or even touch it so we just let her stay up late on the couch watching Cinderella to calm her down. When the movie finished and she was obviously tired, I tried to take her to bed but she refused to go and screamed while I carried her upstairs. I felt bad of course but knew that sleep was the only thing that would help her now. Anyway, she finally calmed down and we asked her if we could ask Heavenly Father to help her hand feel better. She said OK so we said our family prayer and Joe prayed that her hand would feel better and that she would be able to sleep well that night. Literally within seconds of finishing the prayer she was asleep. She was even asleep enough that we were able to take care of her hand and put some band-aids on. I was worried that she would wake up during the night and remember her hand hurt but she slept right through until 9am (which is unheard of for her). We told her about this the next day and she was very happy and excited. Hopefully she is beginning to gain a testimony of prayer. I know that this experience strengthened my testimony and reminded me of how precious Elizabeth is to our Heavenly Father and what a solemn responsibility I have to care for her. Ever since then, her hand doesn't seem to bother her much. What a blessing!

3 comments:

Marjorie said...

Wow! That gave me goose bumps! I'm so grateful for knowledge of the simple things like prayer. I'm glad Elizabeth is doing well.

Jessica Davis said...

That is such a sweet story! How neat. I love little things like that that show how much the Lord cares and is aware of us.

Meghan said...

You two are such great parents. What a great comfort prayer can be!