Thursday, December 6, 2007

Christmas, etc.

We got our Christmas decorations up on Monday and then that night went and picked out a tree. There wasn't a lot of great ones to choose from but we're happy with the one we found. This was the best picture I could get to show it lit up.

I also finally finished our stockings. So...here they are. Some of the little pictures didn't turn out as cute as I would have liked but at least they're done and that's one less thing weighing over my head. Warning: they are much less cute when you enlarge the picture. Do so at your own risk :). Halfway through the lettering I also started wondering why on earth we picked such long names for our kids. So, that's something for you expecting mothers to consider. :)

My poor deprived child didn't get to play in the snow until today. She has been asking ever since it snowed and after she got over her cold I didn't really have an excuse. I wasn't sure how to handle it with Natalie so we just went out when she was sleeping. The snow was all hard and crunchy and she didn't last very long but I think she had fun and we got to try out her new snow clothes.


I'm hesitant to mention it so as to jinx myself in some way but we are currently in the process of potty training Elizabeth and things are going fairly well. She has still had accidents but not too many. We are implementing a carefully regimented program of candy bribery. Hopefully her teeth won't be rotten by the end of this. What I've been impressed with is that we've gone out the last couple of days and she has stayed dry and gone potty wherever we've been. Her hardest time seems to be in the evening so we'll have to work on that. Today we went to the McDonald's playland and she stopped playing and went while we were there so to reward her we picked up "Ratatouille" from the red box. As much as I've dreaded potty training, I suppose I'll make it out of this alive and hopefully mentally intact. :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am jealous, we obviously don't have any snow down here in Texas. Congratulations on the potty training. We are still working with Landan on that.

Kevin Thompson

Marjorie said...

I'm glad all is well in your home again and congrats on the potty training. What finally made her able to go on the potty? Whatever it was YES! Awesome that she's going in public especially if she's taking time to go while playing! Good luck, as I'm sure you already know there's days you would like to put a diaper on her and just let her do her thing. The hard thing is realizing in the end it really be nicer than diapers, right?

Anonymous said...

We're having serious issues with potty training Landan. He's being a very resistant and stubborn 3 year old. Glad Elizabeth is doing so well. Good luck!

MidCityGal said...

Thanks for the advice about the long names. That's so funny. Do you guys use nicknames or anything like Lizzie or Nat for your girls? Cute stockings though, I'm trying to figure out what I want to do for stockings-- something that I can continue for more children.

Jackie said...

I love the picture of Elizabeth walking in the snow with the footprints! That's a classic picture. It sounds like she's making good progress with the potty. We got entirely too lucky with Dallin on that one...I shouldn't even be allowed to call what happened with him "training." In a lot of ways my second has been WAY harder than the first..so much for expectations. Don't you think preemies are just stubborn fighters? I think it's a gift Heavenly Father gave Mia, which is going through a phase of backfiring, but I just have to keep remembering that's the quality that kept her alive in the beginning.

Michelle said...

Potty training..... all I will say is I hate it. Anyway, cute stockings, I also love homemade ones, I am still working on Sam's and it's a good thing my kids names are short otherwise they wouldn't fit on our stockings with the cross stitch letter patterns I am using.

Ashley A. said...

Thanks for all of the support with potty training. It's still going pretty well (cross your fingers). Midcitygal--we do have nicknames for them (Lizzie, Natty-bo, the list goes on) but I thought I'd go with the full names on the stockings. Hang in there with Landan, guys!

Debbie said...

I love your stockings and Christmas tree! I wish I could make stockings. they are adorable and the kids will love to have them when they're grown (especially because you made them)