Monday, May 24, 2010

One last outing

Well, he's off! We said goodbye to Daddy on Saturday. He's in NYC right now and will fly off to Accra, Ghana, on Thursday.

Here's the world traveler's passport picture:
He's not going to like me posting that but I just thought it wasn't fair to have such a good passport photo. My hair is back in a ponytail in mine and I kind of look like a man. Luckily I can get a new one soon.

We had some fun family time before he left including a trip to the park.

Happy to be outside

I haven't documented Nate's love of the swings yet so here it is:
Natalie loves the swings, too

Here's a whole bunch of Daddy and the boy, since I couldn't narrow them down...




We saw some cool wildlife while we were out, too, including this pretty good-sized frog:
Taking a break from checking out the frog to pose for Mom:
We saw a bunch of turtles and duck families, too. We also got to see the not-so-fun side of nature while we were out. We were just walking along the path looking at the ducks and things when Joe witnessed a crow fly down and grab a baby duckling. Luckily the kids didn't see it although they were pretty disturbed when they heard about it. I admit that I was pretty sick at heart when I heard, too, especially watching how agitated the Mama duck was after. I nearly cried but I knew I wouldn't hear the end of it from Joe so I bravely held back the tears :). We could even see the crow starting to eat it in the distance. Ahh... it hurts my heart just to think of it. I really hate to see things like that. I prefer to live oblivious to the fact that animals eat each other. Of course, all of this hasn't gone so far as to make me a vegetarian, except for a brief stint when I wouldn't eat pork after watching the movie Babe as a kid. What a hypocrite I am.

Anyway, we're missing Joe but doing well so far. I hope to fill our days up with some fun adventures. If only the weather would let us! And, Elizabeth has developed a cold so I guess the adventures will have to wait.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

How long is Joe going to be gone?

Poor mama duck, and baby duck. :( That's sad.

Marin said...

awwww I am so sad for you guys, but hopefully the time will go by fast!!! What a FUN outing but yes that is really sad about the duck. I probably would have cried as well!! Haa haa, we have been watching a BUGS LIFE and Carden just ran his bike over the ants and I felt bad for them!!! hee hee. Well we still dont know our plans but if we stay we have got to HANG out!!

St. John, Jacque, Camilla said...

You can't keep that man out of Africa can you! I don't blame him it is a lovely place with a lot of need. Wish I was going.

CHELZERS said...

I remember we had a 'hot dog boycot' in elementary school after watching charlotte's web. :) I also prefer not to think about the fact that the beef I eat used to be a cow....eew. :p
I hope time flies quickly for you! If the weather will cooperate, we'd love to get out of the house with you guys. let me know!

Joseph A said...

It really does kind of look like my mug shot up there...not sure how I feel about that. :o)

Tiffany Kadani said...

I hope Elizabeth gets better soon.

That story of the duck is so sad! Especially since you got to see the mother duck's reaction. So sad! I guess the phrase 'sitting duck' is a little inappropriate, or highly appropriate depending on how sensitive you are.

Jordan and Luci said...

All I can say, is Joe has one amazing wife!! Seriously Ash, I need to be more like you. I am complaining about Jord being gone for a week! Oh and that breastfeeding thing made me laugh really hard!! So funny!