Thursday, September 20, 2007

President Hinckley Devotional


I really enjoyed watching the President Hinckley devotional at BYU on Tuesday and I thought I'd post some of my thoughts about it. So, you'll have to humor me :). A part of his talk that especially stood out to me was the part about working hard. He said that the success we achieve in life will be due to how hard we work and will have little or nothing to do with our natural abilities (I'm paraphrasing but hopefully that's close). This statement was very comforting when I heard it because of how easy it is at times to feel inadequate and to compare ourselves to others who may be more "gifted" in certain areas. It reminded me of a scripture that's been important to me lately:

"Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever." Alma 26:12, The Book of Mormon

We are weak and inadequate at times for the challenges that are before us, but that's not the point. The point is that if we trust in God and have faith in Him, He will work miracles through us and strengthen us. We are precious to Him and He stands ready to help us if we will only ask in faith and humility.
I love President Hinckley and I'm grateful for his counsel. He is an excellent example of faith and hard work. I was kind of sad because this was the first time he came to BYU that I wasn't able to go to the Marriott Center to watch since I've been here. (We probably shouldn't have gone the last time, though, because we attempted to take Elizabeth and she screamed through much of it :) ) I know that President Hinckley is a prophet of God and I'm grateful to be a member of this church.

2 comments:

Mitzi said...

Ashley, thank you for sharing that! Sometimes I need a kick in the pants to encourage me to work a little harder. Your post about Pres. Hinckley's devotion was just what I needed.

Anonymous said...

Well, this is the first blog I've ever been tempted to respond to. After looking over your profile, reading some entries and enjoying your selection of Christmas music, I just want to say thank you. I am a mother of three myself, living in Colorado. I grew up in SLC and sometimes I miss seeing others around me doing the everyday "Mormon stuff."