Saturday, September 22, 2007

More than you ever wanted to know about Joe and Ashley

(Daddy with his little girls)
I decided it's time to embarrass Joe now... Just kidding, this won't be bad. It will probably end up gushy, though, to warn you in advance. I loved reading others of these and hope you enjoy it!
What is his name? Joseph Nathaniel Atkin.
How long have you been together? It will be 4 years on December 30th.
How long did you date? Only 6 weeks before engagement and then 5 months during our engagement. We definitely did it the wrong way around but it worked out for us.
How old is he? 26.
Who eats more? I would definitely say me in general although he has his moments (especially when it comes to ice cream and candy).
Who said I love you first? We were talking about this and we can't remember the first time we said it. It was probably him but I'm sure it was a mutual feeling when he said it.
Who is taller? Joe, at 5' 11 1/2" is about 6 inches taller than me. He always says this height because he is slightly bitter that he never quite reached 6' :) .
Who sings better? Joe, no contest. Weirdly enough, I've never been too self-conscious, though, about singing in front of him (except of course when I'm trying in vain to reach high notes--that's always embarrassing). Our family home evening songs can be quite comical because Joe will try to sing harmony and it often messes me up so that I completely lose the melody. I'm trying to work on that...
Who is smarter? I think I am slightly smarter at left-brained things such as Math and Science. Joe is more right-brained, is a better writer and is always correcting my grammar (grrr). We are currently in a war to try to make Elizabeth like Math vs. English. Maybe we'll both win :).
Whose temper is worse? Joe is more verbal about his anger. I get silently bitter. So I guess it's a tie.
Who does the laundry? Me, pretty much all of the time. He will help out and do a load occasionally.
Who does the dishes? This used to be split between the two of us but it's been mostly me this semester since Joe hasn't been getting home until late and I don't like have dishes sitting in the sink forever.
Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? Facing the bed, me. Although, we aren't set in our ways and over the summer Joe slept on the right side.
Who pays the bills? I do, most of the time.
Who mows the lawn? Joe. I think I've mowed the lawn maybe once in my life. I probably should learn. Joe does get pretty artistic, though, with his designs and I don't think I would measure up.
Who cooks dinner? Me. Occasionally Joe will throw together some weird-sounding concoction that ends up actually tasting good. He's not one for recipes most of the time.
Who drives when you are together? Joe, unless he needs to study or something.
Who is more stubborn? This is a tough one. Joe can be very stubborn when he's trying to prove a point. I get stubborn about random things and then I won't listen to reason at all. So, both of us. Who is the first to admit when they are wrong? Both of us have pretty over-active consciences and can't take the guilt very long so we apologize quickly.
Whose parents do you see the most? Joe's normally since they are much closer although spending the summer with mine more than evened things out, I'm sure.
Who kissed who first? Joe kissed me although he likes to say that there was a lot of "kissing tension". It was just after playing tennis together and I think my visor hit his forehead when he was leaning in. It was a very wonderful kiss. :)
Who asked who out? Joe did. He called me to ask me on a double date with my good friend and his friend. My dad had written a message that he had called and I got nervous because there was actually another guy named Joe in this group of guys that my friends and I had been hanging out with and I wasn't sure which one had called. I was very relieved to discover that it was him because I wasn't interested at all in the other Joe.
Who proposed? This depends on who you talk to. We had been talking about marriage and an engagement and Joe was wondering if we should wait until we were both back at school. I said that I thought maybe that was "delaying the inevitable" which Joe counts as me proposing although he's the one who actually asked me to marry him. It was during a picnic at a park and it was simple and wonderful.
Who is more sensitive? I definitely cry a lot more and am sensitive in a lot of ways. One thing I love about Joe, though, is that he is an excellent listener and is great at responding in a way that is exactly what the person needs to hear.
Who has more friends? I probably have more friends that I am close to although Joe is better at making friends.
Who has more siblings? Even. We both come from families of 5.
Who wears the pants in the family? It's funny because I think people from the outside would say Joe since he has a more dominant personality but I think we make a pretty good team :).

8 comments:

Mitzi said...

I love your comment about Joe's height. Graham is the same way. Graham is 5' 11.75" inches and refuses to say he is 6 feet. He is also bitter about this. You can tell Joe that Graham is taller than him by 1/4 of an inch! I'm sure he'll love it!

Joanna said...

This was so fun to read. I might steal the idea from you:). I like your proposal story. I guess it's true, it would have been delaying the inevitable to wait.

Stephanie said...

Haha- I like how your visor hit his head! I can just imagine! Hilarious.

Jessica Davis said...

I love it, Ashley. You guys are so cute.

Melanie said...

Cute post Ashley! I learned more fun things about you; it is always so fun!

MidCityGal said...

I think that your visor hitting his forehead when he tried to kiss you is classic! That is so funny. Of course, it's probably many couple's worst nightmare. But now that you're married you can laugh about it and then laugh even harder in 50 years when you remember it. So cute.

Ashli Miller said...

hey ashley. i saw your comment on my blog, so i added your link to my friends list. it's good to hear from you

Marjorie said...

Loved the visor and Chris and I both loved the comment made about your first date with him and which Joe it was! We're glad it was Joseph Nathaniel