Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Our Plans

I've decided that I'm going to be a better contributor to our blog. Ash has encouraged me quite a bit, but I've not made finding the time a priority. Here's to hoping I can be a little more participatory.

We're right in the middle of deciding where to go to law school for the next 3 years. We applied to 11 different schools in 11 different states, from California to New York. To date I've been accepted by 7, wait-listed by one, and rejected by one. The other two schools should be responding in the next week or two.

The most welcome news was actually our only rejection...from BYU. We were pretty sure that we wanted to go elsewhere, but the cost of BYU being so much less than most other schools, the fact that we will have to sell our house if we leave, the school's growing respectability, and other such things made staying here in Utah seem like the most reasonable thing, and perhaps what we should do. We had actually already put our house up for sale, because, again, we were pretty sure that we were going elsewhere. But, having the decision made for us so that we definitely have to move has taken a significant weight off our shoulders. We now feel fully confident with moving forward and moving on.

The four schools that are still in the running are in the Houston, Albuquerque, Sacramento, and Cleveland areas. Houston and Sacramento are the front-runners, but we'll see.

Since this is the last summer that I won't be interning for some law firm or doing some other law-related thing, we decided it would be fun to do something a little different. Richard is going out to the Flint, Michigan to install security systems, and we've actually decided to tag along. I've already had my summer-sales experience*, so I think I'll join him in being an install guy. I am not a real techy-type guy, so this will doubtless be a good experience for me. Richard has more experience in this kind of thing; I'm looking forward to being his understudy. I'm planning on having lots of fun this summer...hopefully I'll get some work done, too.

I think that's about it for now. We'll post more about future plans as things unfold.



*I honestly think being a door-to-door salesman (salesperson) is an experience that most people would gain a lot from. I know I did. There's a lot of valuable experiences separate and distinct from what one gets from door-to-door missionary work. Maybe I'll write a whole post on this subject sometime...

11 comments:

MidCityGal said...

That's really exciting to hear about your future plans. Keep us updated on what you decide. It's probably nice not to feel like you HAVE to go to BYU. We LOVED Provo and LOVED our time at BYU, but also it's really fun to be out making new memories and looking back with fondness because we didn't get burned out staying there for too long. That's just my opinion, though.

How far is Flint, Michigan from Madison? If you guys are in the area, let us know. We'd love to see you!

Brooks and Andrea said...

Joey!!!It's been a long time. I can't believe you called me aunt dianne. I thought that nickname was forgotten. Your girls are adorable. I will have to add your link to my page so I can keep tabs on your fam. Good luck with law school. I had no idea.

Jaime said...

Good job for posting Joe. I can't even really get Jon to look at our blog. I guess he's super busy, oh well.

Jaime said...

Good job for posting Joe. I can't even really get Jon to look at our blog. I guess he's super busy, oh well.

shani-o said...

Hey Joe! Congrats on the law school acceptances... I'm sure you guys will end up somewhere great. (Of course, if you were in NY ... the girls could meet Aunt Shani, lol.

Best of luck!

Marjorie said...

Chicago has some good people I hear ;)

Nora said...

We will take you in Houston! :-) Keep us posted! So exciting, Good luck!

alese said...

I'm really sad you guys are leaving. I'm probably the only person in the world (aside from kristy) that hopes you don't sell your house so maybe you'll come back. Seriously though, I'm sure you will have an incredible experience when you do go.

Michelle said...

That's exciting, I doubt you'll have a hard time selling your house with that FANTASTIC yard of yours!

Meghan said...

Congrats and good luck with the decision-making! Your family will be such a great asset to any city/school you decide on.

Brooke said...

Congrats on your wide open future! We are so excited for you. I agree with Meghan, you will be a great asset to any city/school you decide on.