Saturday, October 18, 2008

Tried and True Recipes

I thought this was a fun and useful tag from my friend Katy. Please do it, too, so I can have new recipes!

Dinner recipe:
We love this recipe because (1) it's a family recipe, (2) it's delicious and my whole family loves it, (3) I get tired of eating chicken and beef all of the time, and (4) it's really easy to make and I always have the ingredients on hand.

Barbecued Pork Chops
4-6 pork loin chops (I like center-cut bone in, but you can use any kind)
1/2 onion, sliced into rings (white or yellow)
3/4 c. ketchup
1/2 c. water
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Mix all except pork and onions in a medium saucepan over med-low heat and simmer. Lay chops in a 13x9 pan and top with sliced onions. Pour sauce over the top and cover pan with foil. Cook at 200-250 for 5-6 hours. It can be cooked faster (say like 300 for 2ish hours) but the meat is more tender when it is cooked slower. Serve over rice using the extra drippings from the pan, too.

Fall/Festive recipe:
I found this recipe in a slow cooker cook book a few years ago and have made it many times since then. If you are a roast and mashed potatoes family, try this recipe. I am a gravy fanatic and the cinnamon makes this gravy and meat taste so yummy.

Spiced Beef Brisket
1 3 1/2 - 4 lb fresh beef brisket (I usually get beef chuck roasts)
2 c. water
1/4 c. ketchup
1 env. onion soup mix
2 Tbsp. worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 tsp. pepper
extra water and flour for the gravy

Place beef in a slow cooker, cutting to fit if necessary. In a bowl combine ingredients and then pour over brisket. Cook on low heat for 10-11 hours or on high heat for 5-5 1/2 hours (my crockpot cooks a lot faster than this so you may have to watch it).

To make the gravy, save the drippings from the brisket and skim fat. Pour into a saucepan on med-low heat. I put some flour and water in a jar or tupperware container and shake until it's mixed and forms a thick liquid. Pour this slowly into the saucepan while whisking to prevent lumps. Then, I usually add some of the water from the boiled potatoes (for some extra flavor) to thin the gravy back to the right consistency. This paragraph probably doesn't make sense. I only know how to make gravy from watching my mom and I obviously can't explain it well. :)

1 comment:

Jenson Family said...

Ashley, I love this pork chop recipe. Thank you so much for sharing it! I have to keep coming back to get it so I decided it was time to write it down. Hawaii looked amazing. I am so glad you got to go. Happy anniversary! -Amber