Monday, April 20, 2009

Exercise

Since about December I have been jogging more consistently that I have in a long time, probably since high school. This is not to say that I'm in anywhere close to the shape I was in during my high school sports years. Before you think that I am some kind of marathon runner, you have to realize that I only jog about 1-2 miles. It's a short loop around that ends at the park near our house so the girls can get out and play when it's nice. The point is that I am going out 3-4 times a week, which is really good for me. Plus, on the rare occasion that I am able to go out jogging by myself and not pushing 70ish pounds of kids/stroller, my normal run is easy. So, I like to think that I could run 3-4 miles easily without the kids (probably a huge overestimation of my abilities but I like to think it anyway).

One key to my recent success is my wonderful ipod. I hate to admit it, but I had always kind of judged moms out walking/running with their kids and listening to their ipods. Yet again, my previous judgments were thrown in my face. I got to a point not long ago where I was only able to run about half of the course we take. It always felt like such a struggle and so I would give up and walk. Then, after a great run by myself with my ipod one morning, I decided to try taking the ipod along with the kids. I felt guilty at first, but luckily didn't let that stop me. It also took a little bit of adjusting for the girls. They quickly learned that I couldn't hear their complaints against the other sister for "putting her feet on my side!" etc., etc.

The very first time I used the ipod, I ran the whole distance and I haven't had to stop and walk since. It was amazing. I learned that I am not a person who can run for the sake of running. I need to have my mind focused on something other than what my body is doing. Music helps me to do that. I also learned that I need to stop with the guilt about everything. Well, I relearned this. It's a recurring theme in my life as mother but I am making progress, I think.

Anyway, some of my current favorite songs to run to are:
-"Viva la Vida" by Coldplay
-"Killing Me Softly" by the Fugees
-"I Will Be There" by Michael Jackson (Joe laughs at me for this one--the Free Willy song--but I love this song and the beat is perfect for my pace)

What are your favorite songs to listen to while exercising? I'm always up for new stuff.

OK, enough going on and on about me, Joe is the one who has really stepped up his exercising. He is waking up in the mornings to go work out with a friend, doing push-ups and sit-ups and playing a lot of basketball. He is in much better shape than me right now and is the one who helped me set a firm goal to exercise consistently. Yea for Joe!

We like to celebrate our success by eating ice cream at 10pm and implementing other such counteractive measures. We wouldn't want to be too in shape. :)

9 comments:

Cindy said...

that's great ashley! good for you guys! don't feel guilty, whatever makes exercising more enjoyable! and i love the part about finishing it off w/some icecream. at least you're doing it together! i've been trying to do better abt exericise too, but it's hard. a lifelong battle i guess.

Lisa said...

Ash, that is awesome!! I may have to borrow Chris' Ipod so I can't hear the compliants. I love that! Yup, the whole reason to excercise it to have the nightly icecream purge... :)

Jessica said...

that's great! I love running too. I am a bit weird because I can't listen to music while I run because I end up running to the beat which is often too fast for me:)

Katy said...

I like
" bleeding love" by leona lewis
"declaration" by david Cook
"The Final Countdown" by Europe
" Hey Ya" (can't remember by whom)
and "viva la vida" by Cold Play

GOod for you!

Maria and Ross said...

Hey Ashley, I am looking into the jogging strollers right now. I have never had one, and am just checking around to see what people like. Do like your? Are there any you would reccomend?

Little Lady Cakes said...

Good thinking. I do things because I don't want to be too fit.

Life without ice cream just doesn't seem healthy. :)

Jaime said...

Good job Ash. I always have a hard time running with a stroller. It is a lot harder than without. I love some songs by Mika, they're on my playlist if you want to listen. and Mr Pitiful by Matt Costa. I'll have to listen to mine, I haven't used it in a while :). Hopefully soon though. Hey when do you find out what you're having?

Stephanie said...

Good job, Ashley. That's great to get into a routine. I've gotten out of my early morning gym habit. I need to get back into it soon. And I've heard you burn a lot more calories while pushing a stroller, and a double one is double the calories! So basically you probably run about six miles! Haha! Let's just make ourselves feel better. I count pushing my double stroller through the mall as exercise! If I go fast I can get my heart really pumping!

Unknown said...

I am jogging more now too. It feels great, though I still do not do it quite as consistently as I would like, and do not have the added resistance of 70ish lbs of beautiful blond haired girls. I am so proud of you.

I also liked reading what you said about listening to your ipod. I even used to judge people for listening to them when they would walk to school, because I would think, "When do they ever have their own thoughts?" but since Boston I have likewise had my previous judgments thrown in my face. As listening to music is one of the most pleasant ways to pass my bus/train/walking commute to my school in Boston. I better understand those I had judged. And running with music is so much easier than without it, just as you said.