Thursday, April 2, 2009

April Fools Day

Yesterday was not only a day of trickery, it also happened to be my 25th birthday. We celebrated a little bit of both.

I haven't really performed many April Fools gags in my life, and surprisingly haven't had many done to me even though it is my birthday (with one really good exception, you know who you are). Anyway, I read about a fun little gag in Family Fun magazine and decided to try it out. You just put food coloring in the bottom of a cereal bowl and then pour the cereal on top. Then, when you add milk, the milk mysteriously turns a different color. I wanted to do it to the kids but I was actually kind of afraid they would refuse to eat their food after the color change. So, I made it as painless as possible and turned their milk pink. Sure enough, after the initial surprise, they both enjoyed their pink milk. They were fun to trick.

Here they are:

Joe was working out when we were eating and I had his bowl all ready for him when he got back. Unfortunately, the first thing he did was talk to Natalie. Of course she proceeded to explain about the pink milk to which Elizabeth reprimanded her for giving away the secret and the gag was finished. I didn't get a picture of Joe's green milk but he didn't appreciate it as much as the kids, mostly because some of the cereal pieces on the bottom had time to soak up the food coloring and looked black. Oops...

I had a great birthday. The girls had been so excited in the days before my birthday and both remembered as soon as they were up to say "Happy Birthday!" and they gave me big loves. In fact, they were both pretty nice to me all day. We had pizza for dinner, opened presents, and then headed out on our first bowling excursion as a family. We had a fun time. The girls mostly helped us push the ball and then watched (or not--Natalie lost interest pretty much right after the ball shove was complete) for 10 minutes while the ball slowly crept to the pins and knocked a few down. Sadly, their scores still weren't much below ours. I did manage to pull out a win for once with a 102.

We came back for cake and ice cream and then got the kids to bed so Joe and I could watch Marley & Me. Joe slaved over a delicious, homemade carrot cake for me, something I've never even attempted. It was a wonderful day.

I wanted to write down one funny moment that happened as we were driving home from the bowling alley. We had our Disney music in (like always) and were listening to "A Whole New World". Joe was singing along, of course, when Natalie yelled, "Let Aladdin sing it!!"

I love my family... :)

5 comments:

Tara said...

What a great birthday. Happy birthday Ashley!!

Dione said...

Happy Birthday Ash!! I'm so glad you had a good day. That is such a cute idea with the milk, I'm going to have to try that :)

Jaime said...

Happy birthday Ash. I'm glad you had a good day. Kids are so fun.

Jaime said...

Oh and cute april fools day trick. I bet they loved that. I didn't do anything with the kids. But i did get Jon by saying my water broke and that was fun.

CHELZERS said...

SO sorry I missed your birthday. I've GOT to get better at that. I hope you had a great day! I love that your birthday is on April Fool's day. Funny! Have a great day and talk to you soon!