Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Sickness and Teething

These last few days have been kind of difficult around here. Elizabeth and I have had cough/colds since last Wednesday which are being stubborn and sticking around. Natalie is teething and not very happy right now. We've been staying in for almost a week now to avoid contaminating others and to rest. The combination of all of this is not good. Elizabeth and Natalie are especially having a hard time together since Natalie gets upset over little things and this in turn upsets Elizabeth and both end up screaming. Yesterday, Natalie was just being fussy and Elizabeth yelled at her to stop screaming and tried to kick her! I think Natalie barely felt it but I saw Elizabeth's intent and she went straight to her room. It's been a long time since she's done anything like that to Natalie. Basically, I think we all need to get out of the house and back to normal life. We're going to attempt a trip to the grocery store today. Hopefully it will go OK (you never know with shopping trips) and hopefully we'll be over these colds soon.

I am actually very grateful that we're not more sick than we are. It's been a long time since Elizabeth's had problems breathing and I can't help but hope that she is growing out of her problems. Natalie, so far, hasn't really gotten sick and hopefully there will be nothing major this winter.

The kids have actually been doing some cute things lately, too. Here is the non-whiney part of this post. I guess you could have skipped down here to avoid listening to me complain but it's good to vent. Anyway, Natalie has been playing peek-a-boo lately and it's really cute to watch. She doesn't put her hands over her eyes, though, she puts them on the sides of her head. (I hope to get a video of this up soon) She is doing this all of the time lately and even started doing it one-handed while I was feeding her. I thought it was pretty hilarious. She is also folding her arms (for a few microseconds) when we start our prayers. She is such a cutie.

One day, after Elizabeth had been in her room for something, she said that Heavenly Father and Jesus were sad because of what she did. Then, she looked up at the ceiling and said "Sorry, Heavenly Father and Jesus" and then looked at me and said "they didn't hear me". I tried not to laugh and to explain that they did hear her but it's better to speak to them in our prayers. So, we said a prayer and I thought she understood but now she's been doing it a lot. One time she said "come and see me Heavenly Father and Jesus" but she's been mostly looking up and saying sorry after she does something wrong. I think it's pretty cute although I've been trying to reemphasize praying. Also, I recently came across what a friend had written down for us of Elizabeth's baby blessing and was surprised to see that Joe had blessed her to have a "loving heart". That definitely describes her. She is a good example to me already.

Sorry for rambling. Thanks for listening! This has been therapeutic. :)

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm feeling you Ashley! We've been sick this week, too, and it's been a LONG few days staying indoors. Scotty is totally miserable, but luckily Emily hasn't caught anything yet. It's probably just a matter of time. I'm hoping my nursing her is paying off!

Melanie said...

Way to go Ashley! I think if Elizabeth already knows how to repent... the tought stuff is done!

Meghan said...

Hope you all feel better soon!

Marjorie said...

Your "venting" posts seriously help me out. I love being a mom and I'm so grateful that I'm able to stay home with my boys but it is very challenging at times and it's nice to hear others have their bad and GOOD:) days too. Loved the story about Elizabeth!

Cindy said...

That stinks that you guys have been sick! I hope you are feeling better. The story abt. Elizabeth is so funny. I can totally picture her saying that in her sweet, matter-of-fact voice!

Jessica said...

Ashley,
Joe told us about your blog: you guys are adorable, I loved the story about Elizabeth; how darling! I hope you all get feeling better. I have started a blog so check it out:
http://carneys-whereeverydaysacircus.blogspot.com/
Take care,
Jess

Michelle said...

Ashley, it's Joe's cousin, Michelle. I saw your blog on Ben and Jessica's. I totally understand the older sibling being mean to the younger one, that happens daily at our house. Our blog is weymouthfamily.blogspot.com