Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Recent Milestones

I wanted to catch up on some things and post a few milestones that have taken place in our home over the past week or so. Natalie has now learned to pull herself up to standing and also (unfortunately) to climb the stairs. This means...the baby gate has returned! However, we can only put the gate up on the second step so Natalie spends her time inventing new ways to injure herself from two steps up.


Natalie also recently experimented with eating with a spoon. I gave her some yogurt in a bowl and she actually did fairly well. There was still yogurt in every imaginable place afterwards, of course.


Just the other day, Elizabeth wrote her first word! The only two letters she knows how to write are H and I and it finally occurred to me that if she wrote them together she would write a word: "Hi". I don't have a scanner so I just took a picture of it. She wrote the I in orange and then again in black over it. She also traced her hand all by herself in the corner. I thought she'd never learn how to draw anything more than scribbles and then all of a sudden she's writing letters and words. She is getting much too old.

I'll finish with another FEM (Funny Elizabeth Moment): We were at the grocery store the other day and Elizabeth was hearing the voice over the loudspeaker. Normally she enjoys talking back to it, which is funny in and of itself, by saying things like "I can't come right now, I'm shopping" or something along those lines. She was doing this again until she suddenly sat up and said "Heavenly Father is talking to us!" The people around us enjoyed this and I thought it was hilarious how the thought suddenly occurred to her. I love moments like these that make me laugh out loud and melt my heart completely, no matter how much she had been whining or throwing tantrums a few minutes before. Motherhood is worth it. I'm thankful for the everyday reminders of that.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

I always love your FEM's...keep em comin! I've probably said this before, but they seriously make me laugh out loud.

MidCityGal said...

I love that story about Elizabeth! I too laughed out loud. How funny! It's probably got to make you feel good knowing that the gospel truths you teach are sinking in. Of course Heavenly Father talks to us-- and it might just be while we're in the grocery store, we never know. Thank goodness for the faith of little children. I love it!

Stephanie said...

That's so funny! Cute cute Elizabeth.

Jessica said...

I love FEM's, they are my favorite!

W said...

That's really funny. Kids sure do and say the darndest things.

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

Kids say the greatest things! Like everyone else, I say keep them coming, they are great fun to read. Cute picture of Natalie feeding herself.