Sunday, January 27, 2008

Our Prophet, President Hinckley

I remember being 9 or 10 years old, sitting in a Sunday School class of other young boys and girls in Kaysville, Utah. Our teacher asked each of us to think about who our hero was. The other boys and girls mentioned many wonderful people as their heroes, such as a father, a mother, or another dear relative. I remember almost being confused as to why I felt that someone who wasn't in my family was the hero that immediately came to my mind; I told my class that President Hinckley was my hero.

At the time President Hinckley wasn't the Prophet, but a councilor to President Benson. He has, even since then, been an extremely important figure and exemplar for me personally. I have had a lot of good examples in my life, including my father, my mother, my brothers, my grandparents, and on and on. But in President Hinckley I have found someone whose spirit seems to always speak to mine.

When I think of President Hinckley, I think of optimism, and I think of love. He seems to be and embody everything I would like to become. His optimism for life and for the work of the Lord, and his love for people have affected me in a very powerful way. After hearing him speak I have felt optimistic about situations that I formerly felt unsure of. Upon hearing him speak I have felt that he loved me, and I have felt his love for others that made me love them, too. I have tried to be optimistic and loving like he is, for these qualities in him have born fruit in me.

Whenever I think about President Hinckley, I'll want to be a little better, walk a little taller, and do a little more. When I think about President Hinckley, I truly do think about the Savior, our Perfect Exemplar and Master, and want to be like Him and to serve Him.

His influence seems to have touched us all in similar ways. It seems we all feel some kind of personal and close connection to him. President Hinckley, our Prophet, the Prophet of God we love you.

No comments: