Sunday, January 27, 2008

President Hinckley


I just found out that President Hinckley has passed away and I wanted to get started writing down some of my feelings. I'm not sure when I'll finish this but I decided to start tonight. I think the main thing that I am feeling is happiness for him that he is finally reunited with his wife. Of course, at the same time I can't imagine having any other prophet. I was still pretty young when he became the prophet and his words inspired and lifted me during my teenage years and throughout all the years since. I remember when I first really began to enjoy going to firesides and broadcasts and I would always be so excited to hear what President Hinckley had to tell us as the youth of the church. When he spoke, I always felt such a strong desire to be better yet I always knew that he cared about me.

I remember the first time that I was able to go Conference in person--I was about 15 I think--and we actually had pretty good seats. We were down low but far to one side. It happened to be that I was near the entrance where the general authorities entered the Conference Center. I remember so clearly when President Hinckley came in. Of course everyone stood up and the entire building became silent. I was only about 15 feet away from him and I felt the Spirit so strongly confirm to me that he was indeed a prophet of God. Tears instantly came to my eyes. Then, he waved his cane right towards our direction and everyone, including me, laughed and waved back :). Every time since then when I've been able to be in his presence at BYU devotionals, and really any time I got to hear him speak, I felt the same confirmation.

I loved President and Sister Hinckley both. They truly lived what they believed and their marriage was an example to all of us. Their unshakable faith and enthusiasm for life always inspired me to be stronger and better. I was able to read his biography a few years ago and was amazed at his complete consecration of his life to the church. He worked hard and he sacrificed much and I only hope that I can have the faith to follow in his example.

I'm so thankful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and to be led by a living prophet. I know that President Hinckley was called by God to lead the church and I'm so thankful for his inspired counsel throughout my life. I miss him.

No comments: