Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My Three-Year-Old

Today is Elizabeth's birthday and I wanted to dedicate a post to her today. We're actually not going to celebrate her birthday until Saturday so we didn't do anything today. I kept thinking throughout the day, though, that it was this day three years ago that she came into the world and that I became a mother. It really is true that these years seem to fly by. When you're exhausted in the middle of the day and counting down the hours until nap time it doesn't seem like it but I just can't believe she is already three. She is already too big. Here is a conversation we had today before nap time:

Elizabeth: I can wear my pretty dresses.

Me: Yep.

Elizabeth: And I can twirl and twirl and everybody will laugh and cheer. (Where does she learn these words?)

Me: (Laughing) Yes you can.

Elizabeth: And maybe a prince will dance with me.

Me: What prince? Will Daddy be the prince?

Elizabeth: No, Daddy's the king. A little boy prince will come.

Me: (suspiciously) What little boy?

Elizabeth: Maybe Tyler (a boy in our ward at church)


She then proceeded to hide her face and act shy. Eek! I couldn't stand how old she was acting. Here's another conversation we had while I was changing Natalie's poopy diaper the other day:

Me: Aren't you glad you don't poop in your pants anymore?

Elizabeth: Yeah.

Me: Me too.

Elizabeth: Did you poop in your pants?

Me: Yes, when I was a baby.

Elizabeth: (enthusiastically) And I can wipe bums when I'm big!

Me: (laughing) Yeah, when you're a mommy. Do you want to be a mommy?

Elizabeth: Yeah. And we can be mommy friends!

Me: I hope we can be. (heart melting)

Elizabeth is such a sweet girl and I'm so thankful for her in my life. She teaches me unconditional love, finding joy in the little things and compassion. She is so smart and funny and she always keeps me laughing with the things she says. Once again, I have to say how thankful I am that she is so healthy. This winter has been nothing compared to the ones before it as far as sickness goes and we feel very blessed. She is a walking blessing to me and I love my sweet Elizabeth so much. Happy Birthday Lizzie-loo! We love you!

First picture

And look at her now!
What a miracle!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

That was way too sweet and I totally understand how it feels to have a 3 year old! Just wait until she's in Primary!

Lisa said...

I was thinking about Elizabeth a lot yesterday!! I can't believe it has been three years since that crazy day in Vail!! It especially hit home as I turned 30 weeks pregnant yesterday right on the day you delivered Elizabeth (I think you were 30 weeks, right?) I am so thankful that she is a happy healthy three year old and that you are healthy as well. I loved the conversation you posted. Too cute. They really do grow up way too fast. I read somewhere that the days are long but the years are fast. We really do need to treasure it all before it is gone!

Stephanie said...

Soooo cute! What a little sweetheart. Happy Birthday Elizabeth!

Brooke said...

Wow, what a special day. I am so glad she is healthy, beautiful little girl. Congratulations!

Jessica said...

Elizabeth is the most delightful little girl! I love those conversations, Heavenly father must giggle watching us down here.

Mary said...

She is such a pretty girl! I certainly miss seeing you all. Happy Birthday Elizabeth!

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

Those are such sweet conversations! I still can't believe how old she is, only because when I saw her last she wasn't even talking! Time really does fly....maybe not when you are counting the time until nap time (I so understand!). She is such a cute girl.

Cindy said...

What a cutie...I just love the things she says! It was so fun having you guys over tonight...when should we plan our girls night for?