Monday, September 1, 2008

A Funny Story

Ashley doesn't have a computer right now as our home desktop is having virus problems. So, I thought I'd share a story to keep our blog up-to-date.

Today is Labor Day and since we have family events planned for later today I'm at home trying to get as much studying in as possible before the events begin. I don't have much time, so rather than waste 45 minutes of time traveling to and from school, I thought I'd make the most of my time by studying at home. This, of course, was unwise. I should know by now that very little time studying at home is quality study time. Here's a funny story that will illustrate what I'm talking about:

I'm studying at my desk in our office when I realize that the reason I can't concentrate is because Natalie is very obnoxiously whining downstairs. (whining: to utter a low, usually nasal, complaining cry or sound, as from uneasiness, discontent, peevishness, etc. Source: dictionary.com) In the hopes that I can do something to remedy the situation, I open the door to the office and call downstairs, "Natalie, what's wrong?! Ash, what is wrong with that girl?!" Ashley responds, "She's in the corner."

Normally, I don't interfere with Ashley's parenting, but since I'm sure that she doesn't recognize that allowing Natalie to whine is severely handicapping my ability to study, I take matters into my own hands by proclaiming, "Natalie, if you can't stop whining you need to go to your room." Natalie humbly replies, "K..."

Then I hear Elizabeth say from the adjacent bedroom, "Hey! Her room is my room, too!"

I go into the bedroom and proceed to have this conversation with Elizabeth:

Me: "Oh, you're in here, huh? What did you do?"

Elizabeth: "I didn't listen to Mommy and wouldn't put the fuzz down." (The explanation of the fuzz, as I found out later, is another funny story for another time.)

Me: "Oh. You should listen to Mommy, huh? Then you wouldn't have to be up here in this darn room."

Elizabeth looking up at me very sincerely: "Daddy, this isn't a darn room; I love this room!"

Me: "Well I'm glad you love this room, but what I meant is that you'd probably rather be downstairs playing than upstairs in this room and in trouble."

Elizabeth: "Yeah...But I love this room."

Now that I've finished reporting this amusing story (at least I think it's funny), Elizabeth just started screaming downstairs. (She had since been let out of her room.) Of course, I had to run downstairs to make sure that she was O.k. And, of course, she was just fine and over-reacted to slipping and falling on the tile floor.

Moral of the story: I think next time I should eat the 45 minute travel time and study at school.

2 comments:

Jake F. said...

Oh Joe(this is Jake), I hear you on this one. Jo's been good about letting me study in grad school (1 week down, 5 years to go) but we'll see how things change when we have a few ankle-biters running around. Good to hear from you.

Stephanie said...

YES JOE! LEAVE the house to study! It is a must. I am constantly trying to explain this to Brigham. He studies at home all the time and it makes life harder for us all. It is harder for him to concentrate, the kids just want to play with him all day, and I am responsible for keeping them quiet and out of his hair. It is really hard! My opinion is, four hours of studying at home equals one hour at the library. Say hi to Ash for me, and Ash, I feel the pain!