Thursday, April 15, 2010

This is what comes from trying to do good...


I'm just kidding, of course. That should say: "This is what comes from hurrying in the kitchen..."

I've been doing a little dinner/bake sale locally to raise money for March of Dimes. Last night, I had scheduled to make two pans of enchiladas. I was actually really proud of myself for being organized and getting things done ahead of time so it wasn't too stressful when dinner time came. I was going to have everything ready on time. Pretty good, for me.

When it came down to it, I was still hurrying to get a few things finished for the first meal. In my haste, I cut my hand on a can of chicken broth. I could tell it was bad when I could see something white in the cut. I don't even know what that was but it scared me. I've never had a deep cut like that (if you don't count a c-section, which I have never had to see open, thank goodness). Anyway, the blessing of it all was that my hand never really hurt. I kept waiting for it to start really hurting but it never did. It helped me stay calm and get things done.

So, I called Joe who left studying to come rescue me. He came right home so I could go find an urgent care place. Not only that--he took over cooking and finished and delivered everything for me! What a guy. :)

I got three stitches, a tetanus shot, and a hugely-wrapped hand which I have to keep dry for 10 days. The pain started after the numbness wore off but it hasn't been too bad. I just hope I can keep from re-opening it. The use of a thumb, even a left thumb, is the sort of thing I really take for granted. Trying to take care of 3 kids without it requires some creativity.

So, that's my adventure... hopefully a lesson was learned.

On a happier note, here are some other updates:

I got to go see my good friend Jessica's new little baby last week. She was so tiny and adorable. I can't believe Nate was ever that small.

Baby Sienna

I got the girls their first nightgowns.
They love them, of course:

Here are some pictures taken by Elizabeth on a lazy Sunday afternoon...

Daddy and his girls playing a game:
The game's not going her way, I guess
An album we have out for decoration.
I know, I know--we look like little kids. That because we were! (are?)

Then she turned her lens on Nate and I...

Here I am trying to write the traditional Sunday family letter
I like this one:

Later on that night, I got this one of Daddy tickling Nathaniel:

Pure happiness!

7 comments:

CHELZERS said...

Let me know if i can help you cook or bake! I wish I could help deliver---sticking around the house is easiest for me! Seriously I'm totally willing! let me know!

Mr. and Mrs. Hillarious said...

Sorry about the thumb! I love your music, by the way!

A Roper said...

Holy Cow! Nate looks so grown up!!! How did that happen in a just a few weeks?

My girls LOVE their nightgowns as well. Girls are so funny!

I'm SO sorry about your hand. I cannot imagine trying to take care of everything and everyone (especially Nate) with a bandaged hand. Can I help cook some of your dinners?

Jackie said...

I'm sorry about your thumb! You sure have raised a lot of money, though! Way to go. Your kids are adorable, as always. By the way, you should buy a pampered chef can opener...(sales plug) they don't leave sharp edges on cans and then you will never cut yourself that way again. ;)

David said...

I am sorry about your thumb! If anyone can endure it with a smile, I am sure it would be you :).
So, I LOVE that you made your blog into a book. I am kind of a blogging dummy so could you tell me how??
email me at davyandmel@hotmail.com if you wouldn't mind....and NO rush whatsoever. Thank you!!
(oh, and this is Melanie, not Dave :)

Ashley A. said...

Jackie--we did have a Pampered Chef one when we were first married! We loved it for that reason--no sharp edges. Unfortunately, it broke after a couple years. Maybe they are more durable now? Even if not, I'm thinking I want to get another one after this...

Unknown said...

I remember (and love) that picture of you and Joe. I am so happy I got to live with you during that time.